OT: Need help with new motherboard

Hi,

Sorry this is somewhat off topic but it's DIY in a sense and I've always found the computer knowledge base in this NG extremely helpful and well informed.

I've just installed a new Intel DJ35JO mobo + Duo E6600 in an old case that I've had around for a while, the PSU is a relatively new 24 pin ATX 500v . The processor + fan were already installed so I plumbed in the board, PSU (both 4 pin and 24 pin plugs) + 1GB memory and fired up to see if it it was working ok. Both LEDs on the board lit to show they were functioning ok but the system doesn't boot to the BIOS nor is there any output to the monitor. There are no POST beeps either - just silence. I tried removing the memory card and booting and that did elicit the expected 3 beep no memory warning so I'm sure the board is ok.....

I'm kind of stuck at this point, can anyone provide me with a way forward?

Cheers

Reply to
Endulini

Best guess is that the memory is duff. It might not have been installed properly so it's worth having another try.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

In article , Endulini writes

uk.comp.homebuilt really is the best place for something like this.

Reply to
fred

Reply to
Endulini

Thanks for the pointer, I was only aware of uk.comp.homebuild and that's as dead as the grave. Have reposted there.

Reply to
Endulini

You could reset the bios. I've no idea how, I don't know that motherboard.

I had fun a while ago with a different mboard. I couldn't get it to boot with a display until I plugged an old display card into it (which actually worked), went into the bios and just saved settings. It was fine with the on-board video after that! I don't trust these computery thingies any more.

Reply to
mick

Usually remove the mobo battery for a while.

Reply to
dave

Sorry there is a correction to this, the mobo is an Intel DG35JO.....

Reply to
Endulini

One piece of useless advice would be to buy an ASRock MoBo next time. One good thing they do have is a diagnostic display which cycles through all the check and test stages during the boot sequence to let you know what it is doing and report any failures. Oh, and buy a high speed video camera if you want to read the full sequence :-)

Presumably you have reseated the memory, tested again, and got the same result?

You don't say what memory you are using so we can't tell if it is suited to the MoBo.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

can unwrap that. Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thanks Everyone, problem sorted. Not to sure what exactly it was but resetting the CMOS and reseating the memory got everything going. Still no POST beep though!!

Reply to
Endulini

Have you plugged the speaker in? Newer Intel motherboards tend not to have the on-board sounder.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The on-board is working ok as if I take all the memory out I get some error beeps

Reply to
Endulini