OT: My lamp post

There was a big investigation in the servicing industry a few years ago, and I never heard the end of it, but when it was done most of the bulbs were either sodium some kind of normal fluorescent or similar, and the discussion was to replace them after x number of hours, or to wait till end of life and replace as and when. Then along came the led replacements and muddied the waters as some existing lamps can be merely upgraded, but others cannot, and now as I understand it in many areas there are laws on light pollution as well which has meant baffled lighting is now the order of the day, though evidence that this actually reduces light pollution is hard to come by. LEDs make this easier of cores as normally they emit light in only one direction. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No I understood they got bird shit in h the photocells and never knew when it was day or night any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I well remember when the new ones were fitted around here just down the road somebody said the lamp there never worked, and upon investigation, it transpired that the column had never been wired up as it was accidentally left off the plan.

Can't get the staff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Write a letter to the letters column of your local paper asking if anyone else has a local gradually worsening sink-hole like you have. If so, then the neighbourhood might be getting unstable, and shouldn't the council have contingency plans?

Light blue touchpaper, then retire.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It's very grim indeed and we like our grimness well illuminated.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Street lights do bugger all to deter burglaries since burglars break in round the back anyway where they can't be seen as easily locks arn't usually as good.

Reply to
spud

we have none in our village either. A former Parish Council Chairman was reputed to have said "If you want street lights, go and live in Surbiton!"

Reply to
charles

Over the years I have accumulated lots of paint samples. It dates back to .. well never mind. The point is if you were to redecorate the lamp post in a fetching pink with green spots, it is likely that you won't have to do anything. Your local curtain twitcher will take over.

Of course, either you mustn't be seen or cone around it, wear a white boiler suit and a hard hat and you'll be invisible.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

Or doesn't live in a pikey area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a economy measure. You're supposed to take Vitamin D instead.

Reply to
nemo

.............................and what they're nicking.

And in the unlikely event anyone notices them - its even more unlikely they'll do anything about it.

Reply to
Ian Field