OT: my door is getting smaller

Hi all

Sorry for the OT nature of this, but I know you are usually a bunch of logical thinking, sensible, practical adults. Please feel free to advise if you think there's a more appropriate NG.

My workplace is fitting security access control on internal doors. The means by which the contractor is doing this is by fitting large (approx 9"x3"x3") stainless steel electromagnets suspended from the top of the door frame.

The problem is:

Door 6'6" high Me 6'4" tall in my socks - add an inch say for my shoes. Security magnet 3" deep

Previously no hazard - now I risk scalping myself (so do about 5 other colleagues over 6'1") everytime I walk through one of the 3 doors having this system fitted - I note from the HSE that risk assessments must include cleaning and maintenence staff and any visitors to the building.

Current situation:

Company ask contractor to resolve He's said only alternative to replace entire door Company say, budget limit for improvements is already reached, door replacement is not an option. Latest proposal hazard warning symbols only providing council do not enforce a health and safety breach on them - I don't think sufficient - how do I prove this within HSE guidelines?

I reckon the increased risk to my health is unacceptable - what more can I do? Suggestions please

Thanks

BigMac PS I'm not known as a trouble maker and don't want to become one over this - I just don't want to knock myself out and end up in hospital.

Reply to
BigMac

We had this in my last office block, same issue.

The resolution was to ask them to fit the magnets to brackets so they stay up at at the same height as the door frame. I think they had to turn the block on the door around to face upwards.

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

Wear a crash helmet?

Seriously, I thought that there is a minimum height for doorways?

Reply to
sPoNiX

"BigMac" wrote | My workplace is fitting security access control on internal doors. | The means by which the contractor is doing this is by fitting | large (approx 9"x3"x3") stainless steel electromagnets suspended | from the top of the door frame. | The problem is: | Door 6'6" high | Me 6'4" tall in my socks - add an inch say for my shoes. | Security magnet 3" deep | Previously no hazard - now I risk scalping myself (so do about 5 | other colleagues over 6'1") everytime I walk through one of the 3 | doors having this system fitted

I wonder if this might contravene the Disability Discrimination Act by impeding safe access to persons with certain physical attributes (ie height)? It is certainly introducing a risk to person with a visual impairment, which is covered by the Act.

| I note from the HSE that risk assessments must include | cleaning and maintenence staff and any visitors to the building. | Current situation: | Company ask contractor to resolve | He's said only alternative to replace entire door

There may be a reason why not, but I suspect the contractor is using external magnetic locks because they are less work to install. The lock could be installed flush into the top of the doorframe, with the magnetic plate on the top of the door rather than on the face. No change in door height. (A new door might be required, but tough.)

| Company say, budget limit for improvements is already reached, door | replacement is not an option.

Other option is not to fit overhead electromagnetic locks.

| Latest proposal hazard warning symbols only providing council do not enforce | a health and safety breach on them - I don't think sufficient - how do I | prove this within HSE guidelines?

Signs are only acceptable where there is no other way of dealing with the hazard.

There is a simple way of dealing with the hazard here, which is not to introduce it in the first place.

Also, signs alone would not warn a visually impaired person of the hazard. Breach of DDA again.

| I reckon the increased risk to my health is unacceptable - what more | can I do? Suggestions please

  1. Refuse to walk through the doors as doing so places you at risk of injury. Your employer cannot require you to do something which is dangerous.
  2. Request your employer to issue you and other affected people with hard hats and wear them all the time. Insist that hard hats are kept at reception for all visitors to wear. (This will go down well if it is a professional or image-conscious office.) Demand a pay rise to compensate you for the inconvenience and discomfort of having to wear Personal Protective Equipment. Point out to your employers that you will expect full compensation and reimbrusement for any back injury or discomfort as a result of stooping to walk through doors.
  3. Request your employer for a copy of the Risk Assessment relating to this, and for the procedure if someone suffers from a suspected head injury. The employer should not, for example, expect someone who might be suffering from concussion to drive. Those cab fares and time off work mount up if people bash their heads and have to go to hospital for x-rays several times a week...
  4. Discreetly sabotage the mechanism so it doesn't work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "BigMac" contains these words:

If you are a member of a union, ask them to help.

You might pursue the fire safety regulations. In the event of a fire, people inside the building should have an unrestricted exit route. (Doors that are not locked or blocked). Doorways which are so low they risk knocking staff unconscious probably don't qualify.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Thats fitted wrong, sounds like you have cowboys doing it. Theres loads of different correct ways they can be fitted.

Of course mag locks are about as secure as a fly screen, grab the bottom of the door and you can pop them in seconds. Use drop bolts instead, harder to fit but do actually lock the door.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peake