OT; Moving house

Our move is progressing rapidly, but I've only ever moved house once before, so it's all new to me.

We get a completion date, say that's Monday the 1th of Beruary.

AAUI, we all have to move out by 1:30pm on that date.

Our chain is very simple, buyers have a rented flat which they are going to let. Our seller is moving into an empty new build.

Is it possible to negotiate with buyer & seller, so that we could have say two days to move our stuff?

Does that present any problems if we do?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The problem is the money.

If you have enough cash to complete your purchase a few days before you complete on your sale then now problem.

Not many people are in this position so the only other option is to make an arrangement with your seller without the formal knowledge of your legal people. I have done this successfully but I was buying from a trusted work colleague. I needed to inject a DPC and it was going to be lots easier to do it before we moved to let the smell of white spirit dissipate.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I suspect that if anyone in the short chain you have, has a loan to finance the purchase, then the answer will be 'no', as the solicitors involved have a phone conference at which they all transfer the money. With the money transfer goes ownership transfer.

Any arrangements you make outside this could result in all sorts of problems.

If you want slack days, make sure your stuff stays on a lorry....

PS: don't move on a Friday, if there's any problems with the money they might not get sorted 'til the following Monday.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

Unless you are a cash buyer, it might be easier to look for a removals company that also offer secure storage. So you could start your process of moving out a day sooner, and have them keep the stuff safe for an extra day or so.

Generally it might - although with agreeable people you may be able to negotiate to borrow what is now "their" house for an extra day if they have somewhere else to go. However at the least it will cost you any expenses they incur.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can eliminate the buyer from the equation, you don't need his permission to move your stuff into your new house - just contact the seller directly and ask if you can take some stuff up there a day or two before the completion day, maybe store all your white goods and bulky stuff like wardrobes in his garage

Reply to
Phil L

You are supposed to give/get vacant posession on completion. So the majority of people employ a removal company which comes along and stuffs all your worldly goods into a lorry or so prior to the completion time, and then drives to the new property.

If you are going a long way you might move out early so you can move into your new home on the due date.

If you are moving across town (as we did last time) then you may find yourself queueing up waiting for the vendor to get a move on with the final packing.

It is possible to reach an informal agreement over moving, especially if there is no time pressure on the other party, but you could be on dodgy ground if anything didn't work out as planned. There are fairly severe financial penalties if you don't give vacant posession on completion.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Garages are the answer. See if you can move at least some of your stuff into the garage of the place you are going to. Or leave some in your present garage for a day or two if it can be fixed.

Reply to
harryagain

re, so it's all new to me. We get a completion date, say that's Monday the =

1th of Beruary. AAUI, we all have to move out by 1:30pm on that date. Our c= hain is very simple, buyers have a rented flat which they are going to let.= Our seller is moving into an empty new build. Is it possible to negotiate = with buyer & seller, so that we could have say two days to move our stuff? = Does that present any problems if we do? -- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.= medwayhandyman.co.uk

You do not have enough boxes and they are better than black bags as you can= see in them very easily

Reply to
zaax

On this newsgroup I would have thought that the garage was already full, and probably the hardest room to pack, it being difficult to get a piano, lathe, morris minor, anderson shelter (flat-pack) and assortment of hazardous chemicals into one of those cardboard wardrobes that Mrs Handyman will use for her pretty frocks.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maybe. Don't trust them , though, there's money at stake.

Possibly, and my solicitor advised me against it in *very* strong terms when I moved last year.

Budget for a removal company that use a containerised system and a couple of nights in a hotel or B&B, move out the day before, treat it as a mini-break, then if it all goes pear-shaped, you're not stranded on the streets.

I got really stressed last year by having to spend the last couple of hours between being told the sale was actually completing that day (24 hours earlier than I expected) and completion time humping stuff down a steep flight of steps into a van. I also ended up spending the last morning cleaning the place out the previous time I moved (15 years ago), and only just got the keys to the agent on time.

You can use the time you're booked into the hotel to do any snagging you need to do before all your stuff is dumped in the new place if it all goes right.

I'm also thinking about the problems at a certain bank earlier this year when many completions were delayed by computer failure.

Reply to
John Williamson

You set the completion date at exchange of contracts. Why did you let it be changed if you were not ready?

Human error. Even if it was a genuine hardware failure, it's still human error to not have a contingency plan.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Moving non-essential stuff into self-storage might be considered, then you have access to it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It was a complicated situation, to put it mildly. I had already had one buyer pull out after agreeing the sale, before paying a deposit, but after my solicitor had done most of the work, which had cost me a few hundred in legal fees, so when the buyer's solicitor said they wanted to complete *now*, after faffing about for weeks, I told my solicitor to go ahead, rather than take the chance of a repeat. We had only received the deposit and exchanged contracts 24 hours previously.

I *really* don't want to go through another sale like that. The buyer's solicitor had originally wanted exchange and completion to be on the same day, and refused to present proof of funding...

Whatever you call it, the computers stopped working, and got a *lot* of people, including some of my colleagues, into financial trouble. The company I work for uses the affected bank for their payroll processing. I was lucky insofar as I had enough reserves to bridge the gap.

Reply to
John Williamson

Oops, broken attributions....

TMH said nothing of the sort, I did.

Reply to
John Williamson

re, so it's all new to me. We get a completion date, say that's Monday the =

1th of Beruary. AAUI, we all have to move out by 1:30pm on that date. Our c= hain is very simple, buyers have a rented flat which they are going to let.= Our seller is moving into an empty new build. Is it possible to negotiate = with buyer & seller, so that we could have say two days to move our stuff? = Does that present any problems if we do? -- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.= medwayhandyman.co.uk

Does the house you are buying have a garage? Sometimes people will let you= move stuff into their garage before completion date. Robert

Reply to
RobertL

But once the contract has been exchanged and the deposit paid the situation is very differernt from one where someone pulls out before contract. After contract, if they pull out, you get to keep the deposit don't you?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

very differernt from one where someone pulls out before contract. After contract, if they pull out, you get to keep the deposit don't you?

Which would have left me stuck with the property for what, in the current market, would probably have been a long period. As I said, it was a complicated situation.

The sale negotiations had been so complex that the deposit would not have covered the legal fees that I had incurred up to that point.

I now live in a normal ex-council terrace with no problems about renting my shop out, chasing the (Invariably late) rent, or what the shop next door want to sell and to whom they want to sell it. I noticed recently that "my" shop is still empty, and the flat has only had tenants in it for a few weeks in the year since I sold it to the owner of the shop next door.

As I said earlier, I *really* wouldn't want to go through another of those.

Reply to
John Williamson

But once the contract has been exchanged and the deposit paid the situation is very differernt from one where someone pulls out before contract. After contract, if they pull out, you get to keep the deposit don't you?

Which is no use to you at all if you are in the middle of the chain, as unless you have other funding to complete, you will default on your purchase and simply hand the compo from the guy below you to the guy above you

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I think that goes with exchange of contracts, which does not have to be the same date as completion.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, the money transfer hapens at completion.

Correct, exchange is usually a few weeks in advance to give time to arrange insurance, removals, etc.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q