OT:Most blatant UK/US rip off yet ?

Idly nosing for a sugar dispenser (I saw one 15 years ago, made in Italy

- you press a button and get 1tps sugar) ...

Found something similar ...

$14.99 in US:

and £69.37 in the UK:

(currently $14.99 = £9.84)

is this a record ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But has he sold many? Where would one buy them, if one wanted to import them?

Reply to
Onetap

And wouldn't it in any case be cheaper and easier to buy, er, a spoon?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes, but if I can persuade someone to pay me £69 a go for motorized spoo n widgets, that's what I'll be selling.

Reply to
Onetap

I imagine that a dispenser would be more hygienic than open bowls of sugar in a canteen or cafe environment and probably less wasteful than little paper bags or tubes of sugar, which can be pilfered or simply wasted when people take more than they use.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

A fair point; I was thinking purely of domestic use.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If your hands don't shake, I guess so.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But it looks like it only holds about 6 spoonsful.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do you need more than that in your coffee?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No, but I'd rather not bother with a dispenser, than have to fill it up every other day.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But the cost of replacing stolen ones would wipe out any advantage I would have thought.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't know about Amazon, but on Ebay putting the price way up is commonly used as a holding tactic when the item is temporarily out of stock.

Reply to
Graham.

The seller on the first Amazon "UK Ripoff" link is actually based in Japan.

There are plenty of US sellers on eBay uk offering them for

9.17 plus 28.18 postage to the UK

michael adams

michael adams

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could find products in the US sold at substantially more than the UK equivalent. I get a little bored of seeing the "UK rip off" argument made; prices are set, in the main, by the market due to supply and demand, and companies have every right to set differenti al prices in different parts of the world (or even different parts of the s ame country).

If you want it, buy it. If not, ignore it. Up to you.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

It is trivial to find such products. E.g. a certain medicine which in the UK might be £1.20 to 1.90 would be around 20 to 30 USD. The gotcha is that that we get that price because it is not open market - it is NHS paying.

A parallel product (similar medicine but with important difference) has rocketed from about £12 to £56 over the past three or four years. It is now more or less on a par with the USA. I suspect that this parity was used as a justification for the price increases. Which is a rip off as similar products (same active ingredient) is available from about three pounds in Greece and Turkey.

Reply to
polygonum

Ah but the one for the UK is made to withstand accidental nuclear blasts by american missiles.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

However the cafes with open bowls of sugar often sell the best breakfasts.

Reply to
ARW

Do they still have the tea spoon chained to the table?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

:-)

Reply to
ARW

My local bacon roll van has cheap brown/tomato sauce on the counter, but you have to ask for HP/Heinz. They keep that at the back - because people steal it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman