OT, more than likely...

Just out of interest, like, does anyone know how much it costs to build a house on a plot that you own in England, or anywhere I can find something like a guesstimated cost per square whatever for building a bungalow?

There are plenty of references to costs in Leftpondia, but nowt I can find for this side of the herring pond.

I'm in the market for somewhere to live, and there are a couple of empty plots nearby.

If it comes up almost as cheap as buying somwehere older and doing it up, I'd maybe prefer it.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well it depends... How big the thing you build is How much you do yourself (either managing the project or actually doing the work)

I believe you can build for quite a bit less than you can buy the equivalent. And you get to build in the features you want.

FWSE "self-build house" and select 'UK pages only', you ought to find something of use

If 'Grand Designs' is owt to go by, fights with Planning are the big problem

Reply to
Dave Budd

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:09:07 +0000, John Williamson

wrote in :

Ivan D. Reid

A quick Google gave me this

zaax

Amongst all these arty-farty one-price-fits-all buildings insurance policies you will find some good old-fashioned companies that will want you to cite a figure for "rebuilding cost." That's the cost you should be insuring for to cover, in the case of a total disaster, clearing the site and rebuilding what was there before. Go to their sites and fill in the "rebuilding cost" calculator for the type/size/location of property you have in mind and it should give you an up-to-date estimate. Including contract labour etc of course: the average householder buying a buildings insurance policy isn't planning to build it all themselves. Rebuilding cost bears no relation to market value which can be higher or lower, depending on circumstances.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Well, I'd start by asking the FWSE for 'self-build blogs', although most self-builders tend to build palatial piles. the Association of British Insurers has a rebuild cost calculator if you just want a rough idea for now.

I goove most big builders spend 60 to 75K, but they have economies of scale. Self builders seem to spend 100K to 200K, but all swear blind they can make back more than they spent. I guess a lot will depend, too, on how much you do yourself, as well as how big you want to go.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the system build solutions, such as huf haus, Scandia-Hus, or nearer home Cloud Nine or Potton. There are also dozens of green oak people like Oakwrights or Green Oak Structures. Not all of them are 6 bedroom stockbroker palaces.

A chum's sister built something like this for peanuts:

they even have a price list... There are loads of others. Hers is a Nice house. I lived for a while in a farm workers cottage that was made from concrete panels bolted together. It cost next to nothing, but the wooden ones are far warmer, & better for 't environment.

And don't forget Ikea. They are looking for Franchisees to sell & build Boklok houses!

My mate who builds houses on a small scale says 'ask a RIBA architect

- then double it'.

Reply to
bobharvey

That's hardly surprising, as the projects they choose are all out of the ordinary.

Perhaps they should show somebody building an ordinary house, with an ordinary amount of money...

Reply to
BartC

There was an item on the Beeb t'other day where an architect said about 30% less.

Reply to
PeterC

- they even have a price list... There are loads of others. Hers is a

Thanks to all of you. I had obviously slipped up on my FWSE skills.

It seems that that about a grand a square metre is the norm, so thirty should cover the build for a small bungalow replacement, with a site I know of costing another thirty or so. One of the sites reckons just under 40K plus site for what I'd like.

Int'rusting......(And just within the budget, and cheaper than buying an ex-council semi and doing it up)

Certainly cheap enough to look seriously at the possibilities.

Boklok seems a nice idea, but Ikea say they're keeping out of the UK market for now, thankyouverymuch. Shame.

Reply to
John Williamson

Certainly that's a number I've heard bandied around before.

Wouldn't e.g. 6mx5m be a tad on the small side? The 'Acacia' is the smallest two bed bungalow on that ScotBuild site and it's 65m^2

Have fun thinking about it ...

Reply to
Sunny Bard

I gubhtug about it as there is a nempty plot opposite me. Would be a nice size for a bungalow and some garden. When I enquired was told the asking cevpr for the empty plot is 425Kzu. I sed buggerit can ohl a bigger plot with bungalow already molished for that!

Reply to
nev young

That's the sort of thing. Maybe about 40 square metres though, for a one bedroom place, which is all I need. Then again, one bedroom bungalows are hard`to sell. 15K for the frame delivered to site is good. One site I've got in mind is 30K, and the planning drawing shows something about that size.

I looked at a one bed semidetached bungalow a while back which was only

48K, but needed rebuilding from the foundations up, as the slab had split across the middle.

I will...

Reply to
John Williamson

Round here, that'd buy about half this street.

Reply to
John Williamson

You must have some TQT to put in bedroom two?

Reply to
Sunny Bard

Well unless that's including the cost of the land that's very much on the high side, so of course "it's perfectly possible". It's possible to do it for half that.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I think you'll find there's a clue in the title of the programme.

Reply to
Huge

I was just about to add that. At some point you will need to sell. Self building a one bed to save a few Ks at build time will come back to bite you later

tim

Reply to
tim....

Can't say I've ever come accross an insurer's site which includes such a calculator - however FYI the 'real McCoy' is here:

David

Reply to
Lobster

But that's because they expect someone to seek PP for six flats on the site.

There is (was) a derelict detached house on a narrow plot with a long garden for sale that my sister looked at, that would sell done up for about 400. She wanted to offer about 250 for it, but the EA said that they were looking for offers over 450 as a building plot. The same sized site next door gained PP for IIRC 8 flats on the footprint of the house and above the driveway, plus two town houses at the end of the garden so they were expecting the same here.

It did sell at 450!

tim

Reply to
tim....