OT: More IT treacle please

Or even to Linux. Under OS X I use zsh but various other shells are available.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, that was what you based your misconception on a few months ago.

Yes, they're using it to run some networking. They're not using it for the main hypervisor stack, and that's way bigger.

Reply to
Clive George

It's just Windows "Services for UNIX" reborn - even NT3.1 had a POSIX subsystem.

Reply to
Rob Morley

1/4/2016?

It should be easy to replace the linux kernel with another one, BSD have done it, NT was 3/4 of the way there, win10 could easily do it and run three different winowing systems as it already runs two.

Reply to
dennis

Ok, so this is something they could only previously do on Linux (and OSX presumably)? I'm still confused because the linked article mention 3rd party tools?

Ah, so this (new) solution is different / can do more than these 3rd part tools?

Ok, so this is stuff for code writing, like the little IDE you get for writing code for the Arduinos?

Ah, ok, I think I follow that. ;-)

Ok.

Yes, that's a good example of Linux (kernal at least) 'working' in a not seen and not heard pov.

OK. ;-)

Yes, that is not only my (our) thought but one we share with many other 'open minded' people, people who would really like to see Linux achieve that critical mass that would probably see it recognised by more hard / software creators and so benefit all of us (all of us who just want a real alternative / choice).

I'm not sure 'most people' are looking to move from W7 (/8/10) but it would still be nice to have a real choice.

Sound good then.

Whatever it is that makes stuff work easily and reliably John. ;-)

Thanks for the explanations. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I 'designed' (Sketchup) some h/d spoked tubes to raise a sofa up about 100mm for Mum today. Repetier kept complaining about the item (manifold) and by hiding some of the outside skins I managed to fix a few issues and then it said it was fine. ;-) It's going to take 5+ hours to print each one (4 needed) but my mate likes the printer running in the shop because both he and many of the customers like to see it working. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

They already have a kernel so they don't need linux. If the open source apps run on their kernel then they have exactly the same as a linux distro gives except it runs windows apps and *drivers* as well.

Don't confuse the issue by claiming linux is anything other than a kernel.

Reply to
dennis

So? they are still using Linux. They for sure aren't using windows..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are using windows for their hypervisors. Like I told you last time this came up.

Using Linux for networking is only surprising because normally people use things like Cisco. Does anybody anywhere use windows for networking?

Reply to
Clive George

En el artículo , Clive George escribió:

God, I hope not.

Internet down. Call M$. "Have you turned it off and on again?"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Windows is not a hypervisor Hyper V is a Microsoft product, that lets you run virtualised servers, but it itself is not 'Windows'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's sold as part of Windows. Ok, the hypervisor itself sits underneath the management OS, but it's still part of the Windows package.

Reply to
Clive George

Network switches can be virtualised in MS Hyper-V, though that's probably of particular use if connected servers themselves are also virtualised.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

In the same way a C compiler is part of the Linux package....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No.

Reply to
Clive George

If you spend much of your life in one IDE and get very comfortable with it, it makes sense to not lose productivity having to jump to a different one each time you change platform/target.

(you know like those folks who do *everything* from inside emacs ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Being able to take advantage of the windows driver stack would count as a very significant step forward for linux as well in some areas.

Reply to
John Rumm

You are missing the point I suspect.

Cygwin et al are all modifying the user space applications and retargetting them for the Win32 (or Win NT) API - albeit with a large lump of glue code to replicate some of the look at feel of the linux kernal API.

This approach allows all the user mode stuff to run unchanged without any retargetting etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

been around for years with things like 'ndiswrapper' but frankly, it was 'orrible...

Unfortunately its simply not possible to wrap the average crappy windows driver in some sort of shim code. You need, at the driver level, to present a very particular interface to the Linux operating system, in real time and under interrupts.

And NOT start fannying around with bits of code that exist in Windows, but not in Linux, and for good reasons.

If it were that simple, it would have been done years ago.

Fortunately reverse engineering drivers for linux is now a well understood art, and often the chip manufacturers will provide data, or the actual peripheral guys will write linux drivers themselves and push them into the public domains. If it sells 10% more hardware, its worth doing.

Its getting to the sort of stage now where supporting linux is more profitable than ignoring it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

I predict this will go the same way as M$'s iOS (Project Islandwood) and Android (project Astoria) sandboxes in Win10 - the ones that were supposed to be able to run unmodified iOS and Android apps. It'll get quietly killed once it has served its purpose - to generate publicity.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson