OT: more eco home problems

aren't, at least not to Harry's standard.

The google map shows them facing west I think.

I had assumed that the lone panel was a hot water one.

It's not a passiv haus though.

The local paper has some other stories about them including drains being smelly

mogga

aren't, at least not to Harry's standard.

Oldham is getting some at St Mary's

development of 93, 2,3 and 4 bed houses of mixed tenure with associated car parking and public open space. The development includes

2 Code 2 Sustainable Homes Level 6 houses and 2 homes designed to Passive House Standard. These are the most environmentally friendly homes possible and are amongst the first in the North West.

Again strange numbers of them

Reply to
mogga

yes, its very possible.

Especially if you have a distinct 'mains' tap for potable water and do not drink the rainwater without boiling first or other treatment.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was the clothes washing machines and I was wrong :-(

Reply to
ARW

aren't, at least not to Harry's standard.

Don't know about these specifically, but there are a lot of failures of eco homes like these, all for the same reason...

The eco heating system (whatever it is), is miles too small, and the top-up heating from mains electricity predominates. The cause is the same in all cases - systems designed by the manufacturer of the expensive eco heating system, who either didn't have a clue what they were doing, or believed their over-inflated marketing claims, or only cared about selling their system.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I use an air source heat pump for heating my home-office during the day (which is a large combined dining/livingroom), rather than having the central heating heat the whole house. Works very well, and it's very cheap to run. It's more than paid for itself by now, but only because I fitted it myself - it would be unlikely to ever pay back professional installation fees.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok for toilet flushing:

seems just so sacrilegious to throw drinking water down the loo.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

So drink beer instead.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Two or three fortnights ago I was given a rainwater butt by the water company (NWL), complete with fittings to attach it to the downcomer pipes, but the fittings are still sealed up in a plastic bag with the instructions so I haven't had a proper chance to see what's involved in putting the bits together (or to decide where to site the butt).

They also gave me a spray head to attach to the garden hose for watering the plants, and fitted a dual-flush device for the lever-operated loo cistern.

All foc! And I'm on a metered supply.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On one batch of new homes a few weeks ago they proudly announced that the harvested stuff did bath,shower,washing machine, toilet and dishwasher. All but drinking water. I felt ill.

Reply to
Ericp

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Having fitted and discarded two of those *downpipe diverters* I think there is a better way.

Why not simply route the downpipe to the top of your new butt and fit a downpipe sized overflow?

The supplied diverter is ingenious but suffers from blocking by debris from your gutters (leaves, moss etc.)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When I was young we lived in a terraced house that had a rain water tank on= the kitchen roof - in fact all the houses originally did, although most en= ded up being removed. There was a tap in the kitchen supplied by the tank. Not a new thing at all, although these tanks were only about 2m x 1.5m x 1 = foot deep (how cubic furlongs is that ?) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Reply to
Java Jive

better drink more bleach.....

What are we panicing about with rainwater then? is it just the "reassurance" that a wonderfully profitable utility company uses the word "safe" and you can maybe sue em if it isn't? er- assuming you live & can prove it!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

erm... cos the same debris then collects in the bottom of your "water" butt?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I have a friend who lives close to the top of a large hill, He has both a w= indmill and an air source heat pump so his electric is free. He even gets a= small rebate for feeding excess electric into the grid. Swears by it. Thou= gh I take 90% of the claims made by people with both ground and air sourced= heat pumps, with a large pinch of salt. They tend to get quiet when you as= k them the size and kw/hr usage of their heat pump and none are happy to di= scuss maintenance costs. Only ever met one honest person and when we did th= e sums he was marginally better off with his ground source heat pump but cl= aimed benefits would accrue with the price of oil on perpetual increase. Bu= t then price of electric is linked to price of oil so that was a bit specio= us.

Reply to
fred

And this forward-looking article about the Royal Festival Hall heat pump system from 1951 has its interest. Especially as the system was decommissioned long ago. If it had been that wonderful and economic, it would surely still be running? (Or have been maintained/updated/replaced as needed.)

whatever reason, they only suggest 150% "efficiency".

Also interesting for its use of RR Merlin engines running on mains gas.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , Jim K writes

So long as it collects below the outlet tap.....

Those plastic butts have a short life if exposed to Sun or serious frost.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Having seen thousands of birds shit on my roof, I'm not too keen on drinking the run-off. Yes, I know many cottagers were born and brought up with drinking water fed from a tank, but they were pikey bastards.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

why?

Reply to