OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 10 of 10
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:43:47 -0000, "David Hearn"

Bugger :) I'll stick with me homebuild PC then. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

I haven't managed to find any recent figures on AMD/Intel websites, but they must be on there somewhere.
I've found approximate figures for previous generation processors which suggest that consumption drops from around 20W to 3W when the processor is in an idle state. Unfortunately, the source is less than bomb proof.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

There used to be a tool to disable/enable the idle states in some AMD processors. Temperature sensors built into many motherboards can show that when the IDLE command was disabled, the temperature of the CPU rose and when the IDLE command was enabled, the CPU temperature dropped significantly. Of course, when something was constantly using the CPU (gaming etc) the CPU temp rose back up and stayed high until the CPU load dropped again.
Just as a pointer, if you're running NT/W2k/XP open up Task Manager, go to the 'Process' tab and scroll down to the "System Idle Process" process - and you'll see that generally, its 90% or so idle. As I'm typing this email I've got loads of IE windows open and OE is checking my email but the Idle Process is taking about 92-96% of the CPU - and this means that the machine is only using 4-8% CPU load yet its still displaying the screen and doing other things.