OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Try starting a new thread about the merits of imperial measurements over metric, then you'll get to see how long a thread can get..... ;)

PoP

PoP

The problem is that whilst having 56,712 different units for length is very convenient when those lengths are perfectly adapted to the quantity they measure, it makes it damn near impossible to compare such lengths outside that narrow field without having a telephone book sized book of tables to convert them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You know, I've never seen those arguments put before but they do seem eminently sensible! The EU has been responsible for all sorts of nonsense over the years.

Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did make the maths simple ;)

PoP

PoP

That's what we had brains, and education for.

Now of course no longer meeded, since the government has built a world for morons.

Anyone who can instantly do duodecimal arihmetic in their heads isn't going to be bilked by any mexican shop girl, as I discovered....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not use the real thing?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)

1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right) of a marching Roman Soldier.

DG

Reply to
derek

Sorry to follow up my own post. it was in:

interesting.

DG

Reply to
derek

Apart from the mille, what have the Romans ever done for us?

OK, I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Parish

In these days of ubiquitious computerisation, this point is specious.

Reply to
Huge

Because people don't want to? After all, Ghod forbid that they should choose.

Reply to
Huge

A thousand paces by a trained Roman walker is about 10% shorter than 6,000 modern feet.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

So you walk around with a computer with all the conversion figures at all times?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I choose metric, as do a large proportion of my generation. I find that my generation uses metric for everything, except the following:

  1. Road distances and speeds
  2. Volume of beer and cider (but not other drinks)
  3. Weight of a person only (but not other things)
  4. Height of a person only (but not other things)
  5. Idioms

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why would I need to? You're the one who wants people to work in one set of units. Why can't people use what they want?

Reply to
Huge

Bully for you.

Reply to
Huge

The real thing?

When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.

If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life, not 2.54cm.

The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC. Funny how it isn't a number of grams.

I've yet to come across a metre of ale.

Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.

Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?

Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances shown on roads and maps shown as miles?

PoP

PoP

And not forgetting the good old thrupenny bit in the Christmas Pud!

PoP

PoP

Something that annoys me intensly (sp?) is Discovery's habit of converting

*everything* into metric including QFE / QNH, airspeed and fuel loads.
Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Strangely, I have, in southern France. Very nice it tasted too, although it was a little warm by the end!

Historical reasons. Ireland is changing over. I can't wait until we're next!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Why? What possible benefit is there fore this disgraceful waste of taxpayer's money?

Reply to
Huge