OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 7 of 10

You misunderstand. I don't give a toss about metric units, one way or the other. Hell, I have a science degree. I'm quite comfortable with metric units.
It's metrication fascists I have trouble with.
writes

Possibly because it's going to happen one day
--
geoff

That's if they can find 2 square metres spare in which to bury you

Real close shaves are measured in Rizlas

Surely you mean grammys (for bad acting)

I'll draw you one on the bar one da

Because the powers that be think that we are too stupid to be able to judge such parameters in metric
I'll stop before I put my 30cm in it too far
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

No, because of all the decimalisations that happened, that is the one whose cost would have been borne entirely by the government.

Wrong! Governments haven't got any money so the cost could never be borne by the government - they use the taxpayers money.
PoP

Read it somewhere just recently (Don't think it was in this thread)
1 mile = 1 (Roman) mille = 1,000 standard double paces (Left + Right) of a marching Roman Soldier.
DG

Sorry to follow up my own post. it was in:
http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/length.htm
Very interesting.

DG
derek wrote:

Apart from the mille, what have the Romans ever done for us?
OK, I'll get me coat.

And when did you last see a roman legion marching past your front door?
--
geoff

The way the immigration system is working we seem to have legions of many different nations marching past the proverbial front door.
PoP

After 1st May we will be having legions of Romany's from Romania marching towards the nearest UK housing department to claim their rent- free house and 400 a week to supplement their begging and scrap metal business.

--
Andrew

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:17:02 +0000, Andrew

Good for the 2nd hand car business though - social services will obviously need to ensure these people get a car so that they can travel to and from the Job Centre to claim their benefits each week.
PoP

A thousand paces by a trained Roman walker is about 10% shorter than 6,000 modern feet.

And not forgetting the good old thrupenny bit in the Christmas Pud!
PoP

I'm not quite sure where you've been for the last 100 years, but they don't build Victorian terraced houses any more, and (this might come as a bit of a shock to you), farm hands ploughing with oxen are a bit of a rarity nowadays.
While I can still think in sd if I try, what's the use? it's gone, it is no more it's a relic of the past. The rest of the UK has moved on, try it.

Aah, so that is the root cause of a broom cupboard going for a million pounds in London - that's OK then

--
geoff

The point is that equipped with the educational backgound, it is possible for an individual to embark on a career doing either and to adapt to doing completely new things. Since the core of what is required is the same, and many of the thought processes, it is perfectly possible.

One that understands the enduring nature of education based on how to think, I would imagine.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

OK, a board designer joins Ove Arup as a bridge designer. How long will it be before he does anything useful at all? I would say about 5 years, and only after course on bridge building. You make sound as if all these snotty uni people can just flit from one field to another and mater it in weeks. Please get real.

See above

Nobody said weeks, or any other timescale.
Personally, I have done analogue, digital, RF, power and microprocessor systems design - hardware, machine code, assembler, C and other high level language development; control systems, audio and video systems. I've then designed and used real time and other operating systems, networking since before ethernet and IP became commonplace and datacomms, mainframe and minicomputer environments..... Apart from engineering, I've done support, sales, marketing and run businesses successfully.
I could have stayed on a path of designing microprocessor based control systems and to an extent been perfectly happy with it. However, it never occurred to me that there should be a limit on finding out and doing more so I have.
I use the principles of how to go about thinking and finding information every day. If I needed to go and design a control system, I could find the relevant information and apply it extremely quickly.
That's very real.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

an
of
it
snotty
All related in some way. Now this bridge building.

A very broad range. I'm quite certain that should I ever have an interest in so doing that I could understand bridge building or any other engineering discipline. The basic principles are the same, as are the mathematics required to understand them.