OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 6 of 10
Christian McArdle wrote:

Which is why on one trip to the USA an older friend asked me to buy him some tape measures. Wickes had a lot of apologising to do when they arrested him for shoplifting and he made them look carefully at the Stanley Powerlock he'd allegedly just pocketed!
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

I guess I have a guilt complex even though I'm completely honest!
It always concerns me when I visit a DIY place with a tape measure in my pocket, just in case I get held at the exit door on suspicion. For that reason I always make sure my tape measure is clearly labelled from a different source to those of the DIY shed I'm visiting - it would be a bit difficult for Focus DIY (e.g.) to claim that the TLC-Direct labelled tape measure came from their store shelf!
PoP

I tend to just go along with whatever tape comes to hand - generally leaving one in the car because I'm forever putting them down and forgetting where.
A store would have to demonstrate that you took the article from the store which usually means that they have to have seen you pick it up, pocket it and walk out.
I don't like the game that some of the stores play of wanting to see receipts on the way out and checking goods and tend not to co-operate with it.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Or you could be like me, pick up one of the cheap ones from the tool section to measure some wood, put it in your pocket and completely forget about it. Still, the amount of trade I put their way, they can forgive me a value tape measure.
Christian.

I'm quite happy working in either units, but I find myself more often making mental slips in imperial. In your example, it's quite likely I would jot down 45 and 7/8ths.
As the old saying goes, measure three times, cut once ;-)
--
Sure I can help you out, which way did you come in?

Mail john rather than nospam...
writes

Because they have to interface with other people in a bigger world. That mistakes can happen is well demonstrated by a very expensive piece of junk which was last seen going in the direction of Mars
--
geoff

Actually I think it is heading away from Mars now, probably to be intercepted in a gazillion years from now by some alien race who pick it up on their space radar.
But that sure was a very expensive mistake! Mind you, I sometimes wonder whether it was a convenient excuse to hide some other mission failure - like they found out that they put 4 star fuel in the craft instead of diesel ;)
PoP

You know, I've never seen those arguments put before but they do seem eminently sensible! The EU has been responsible for all sorts of nonsense over the years.
Never really figured how 1760 yards to the mile was a good number to come up with though - I understand 8 furlongs etc, but 1760 never did make the maths simple ;)
PoP

Decimilasation and metrication had nothing to do with the EU. They are simply sensible and time saving changes that happen to throw out the unworkable mishmash of Roman and medieval units used before. Imperial units are all defined as fixed proportions of metric SI units now anyway. Why not use the real thing?
Christian.

Because people don't want to? After all, Ghod forbid that they should choose.

I choose metric, as do a large proportion of my generation. I find that my generation uses metric for everything, except the following:
1. Road distances and speeds 2. Volume of beer and cider (but not other drinks) 3. Weight of a person only (but not other things) 4. Height of a person only (but not other things) 5. Idioms
Christian.

Bully for you.
Christian McArdle wrote:

But I can actually use both, and do as you ned to on teh continenet.

Yes.
Yse.
Yes.
Add in temperature. I have almost forgotten what 100 degreed F is like.
Ther as someything nice about fahrenheit. 0 degrees was the coldest it ever got and 100 degrees was the hottest it ever got in te year and place wherever Mr Fahrenit did his measurements...
I am totally bilingual on linesar measuremenst too - inches/mm - use ether one and have most of the convesrsions in my head.
Prefer watts to BTU/h
Or Bhp.
Harmonisation and decimilastin is on balance a good thing, but teh old measures were fun and have historical sigbnificance amnd meaning. I miss them.

Few people I know understand what Farenheit means. You get the impression that "in the 80s" means it's fairly warm and 100 is blood temperature, but thats about the limit.
I thought that 100 Farenheit was the temperature of a cow's behind, but have probably been sucked in by an urban myth.
Christian.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:31:39 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

The real thing?
When you die you'll probably be put six feet under (figuratively speaking at least), not 1.72 metres.
If you've been in a close shave it'll be within an inch of your life, not 2.54cm.
The government are currently after their pound of flesh from the BBC. Funny how it isn't a number of grams.
I've yet to come across a metre of ale.
Depths at sea are measured in fathoms. Again, not multiples of metres.
Have you ever heard a sailor swinging from the metre-arm?
Why do UK car speedometers show miles per hour? Why are distances shown on roads and maps shown as miles?
PoP

Something that annoys me intensly (sp?) is Discovery's habit of converting *everything* into metric including QFE / QNH, airspeed and fuel loads.

Strangely, I have, in southern France. Very nice it tasted too, although it was a little warm by the end!

Historical reasons. Ireland is changing over. I can't wait until we're next!
Christian.

Why? What possible benefit is there fore this disgraceful waste of taxpayer's money?

Annoying those who don't like metric units?
Christian.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:39:26 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Yeah - and the next thing you will be complaining about is getting 3 points on your license for doing 50 in a 30mph zone! ;)
PoP