OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Plus resisting the temptation to rape the bursar for that couple of years. After that it's OK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Temptation? You haven't SEEN the bursar.

Neither have I to be honest...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quality CRT's can go up to 85MHz refresh rate, I have no discernable flicker on mine.

I'm on a Sun 21" Re-badged Sony Trinitron

I've used both, but i'm staying on a decent CRT for the moment, until we can get bigger TFT screens.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

I find 85Hz an absolute minimum. My eyes much prefer 100Hz or 120Hz. 75Hz is very noticeable. 60Hz is like a power drill in my face.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

85MHz - now that I would have to see ;-) With a vertical resolution of say 1200 lines that would need a line rate in excess of 102GHz! Might have some interesting X-Ray emmision problems as well!

A top end CRT will do say 150Hz vertical refresh... with a line rate of no more than a few hundred KHz

A good proportion of people will see no flicker at a vertical refresh of 72Hz or better on a small ish screen, most are happy by 85Hz or more on screens upto 21"

(bigger screens are more of a problem because you see more of them in your peripheral vision which is far more sensitve to movement (and hence flicker) than your main field of view)

Reply to
John Rumm

:-) I spotted my little error after I posted, seems you did too ;-)

Humble Hertz are so quaint in todays computing world

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

matriculation,

Quite right! All these snotty unis are up to all sorts of tricks.

Selective amnesia eh!

Reply to
IMM

matriculation,

Yerrr! Sure it is! Is that what they told you?

Reply to
IMM

And you are a computer expert by studying electric sockets? My, oh , my! And what amazes me he actually does think he is.

Reply to
IMM

No, its what every body else told me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I am just an electronic enigeneer of some 35 years experience, who switched from hardware to software in the 80's and spent the next ten years progarmming real time and embedded systems.

After that I was running systems integration companies. Then I sold mine, and reitired..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It said "Electrical".

Couldn't hack it eh? Didn't know enough about the game.

Reply to
IMM

Snotty uni people of course.

Reply to
IMM

Thats what you get at a snotty uni IMM.

Everything from mechanical engineering to electronics.

El;ectrical sciences covers everything from microwaves through electronics down to power stations.

No, IMM. I knew too much....but that is another story.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think that he has much idea of what a university education is all about anyway - i.e. that it's not some kind of vocational training setup, but rather how to go about identifying and dealing with issues set against a subject background.

The second of these is portable across disciplines and endures time, the first often is not.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Having been through one I certainly do, my old chum.

Electrical and electronic are now very different fields and have been for a very long time.

Reply to
IMM

You have never presented any credible evidence to support that claim.

One can very easily do either or both with an appropriate degree course or migrate from one to the other.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed. Once you get past the A-Level stage, they are all just flavours of applied mathematics. Three dimensional differential equations in conical coordinates, anyone?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't you just hate it when people take the easy option, instead of doing the job properly with partials and integrating round the loop, so that they may perhaps, understand it?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Your sure do have a chip on your shoulder don't you IMM ?.

Did somebody who went to uni catch you having a w**k in the shower(you do have one don't ya?) and this is your way of getting your own back by trying to shoot down people who are in almost every case your intellectual superior.

Why don't you please leave this ng and do most of us a favor.

Please guys send all your spare rpg's to imm.

ATB

Kris

Reply to
Kris