OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 4 of 10

Do you know about CPU Halt and Grant Idle states? Almost any modern operating system will enter these states as soon as CPU usage drops below 100%. This isn't some setting in a property page somewhere, it happens automatically whenever CPU usage isn't 100%.
This isn't an operating system Standby or Suspend state, where it blanks the screen. It is an instantaneous and effective power reduction mechanism that is instantaneously reversed as soon as CPU is required.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

BUT these states have to be explicitly coded into the BIOS etc. In all OS's I have designed or been aware of, the CPU at best sits in a tight loop waiting for some kind of interrupt from somewhere - most frequently the system timer. Then it probably rushes off to do a few timer related housekeeping tasks, nips round its scheduler to see if other interrupts have actually triggered the need to so timeslice code before going back to doing an endless loop or summat. I agree that a 'halt' instruction pending interrupt OUGHT to be used somewhere in the core OS..but is it? Not on my windows 98 I am sure.
Given the size of heatsinks on the CPU, and the fans, its pretty clear that they are pulling tens of watts no matter WHAT they are doing. I will grant and exception uin laptop cases. I am sure they do indeed have sophisticated power management circuitry, but I am pretty sure that this computer does not.

[17 lines snipped]

This has nothing to do with the BIOS. BIOSes are a PC-ism, anyway.

The kinds of functionality we are talking about here takes place "below" the O/S level (not that W/98 is much of an O/S in the first place). (Despite my earlier facetious remark about O/S idel loops...)
On 20 Dec 2003 12:33:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Not one at all AFAICS. A monitor maybe, and not a particularly good one. A house built on sand? Definitely. OS? Nope. May it rest, finally, in peace.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Huge wrote:

Nothing except internal machine codes takes place below operating system level.
Its necessary for the OS to call 'halt' or 'idle' or whatever, and wait for interrupts to restart the CPU.

[21 lines snipped]

No offence, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Can I suggest you go and read about the IBM S/360 and Transmeta processor architectures?
Huge wrote:

Frankly, I'd rather not.
All processors are CPU, varous hardware bits and microcode. The OS core is ultimately in machine code, and the microcode interprets that and fiddles with the actual hardware.
Sop below OS is only the microcode.

Probably wise.

Well, sort of. But I think we've wandered far enough from the original point. And unless you have a fab in your garage, it sure ain't DIY.

But from Cambridge that's a BA + a wait of a few years after matriculation, innit?
-- Richard Sampson

And 35.
Huge wrote:

Was it? Don't remember. I think thats only if you bother to attend the jolly.

Dunno. My degrees are from, er, newer establishments.

Quite right! All these snotty unis are up to all sorts of tricks.

Selective amnesia eh!

Your sure do have a chip on your shoulder don't you IMM ?.
Did somebody who went to uni catch you having a w**k in the shower(you do have one don't ya?) and this is your way of getting your own back by trying to shoot down people who are in almost every case your intellectual superior.
Why don't you please leave this ng and do most of us a favor.
Please guys send all your spare rpg's to imm.
ATB
Kris

For observing and knowing? Why would I?
< snip tripe >

Me go? If you don't like it, then....

And you are a computer expert by studying electric sockets? My, oh , my! And what amazes me he actually does think he is.

IMM wrote:

No, I am just an electronic enigeneer of some 35 years experience, who switched from hardware to software in the 80's and spent the next ten years progarmming real time and embedded systems.
After that I was running systems integration companies. Then I sold mine, and reitired..

It said "Electrical".

Couldn't hack it eh? Didn't know enough about the game.

IMM wrote:

Thats what you get at a snotty uni IMM.
Everything from mechanical engineering to electronics.
El;ectrical sciences covers everything from microwaves through electronics down to power stations.

No, IMM. I knew too much....but that is another story.

all about anyway - i.e. that it's not some kind of vocational training setup, but rather how to go about identifying and dealing with issues set against a subject background.
The second of these is portable across disciplines and endures time, the first often is not.