OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 3 of 10

Don't be fooled. The 200W PC power supply rating is just like your consumer unit being rated at 100A. It doesn't mean it is actually eating it all the time. Whilst idling, a modern PC uses a tiny fraction of this. Even less if it turns off the hard disks after a period of inactivity.
Many of the components of a desktop PC are similar to those of a laptop. That runs for hours off a little battery. OK, the desktop versions are usually a more power hungry, but not by that much.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

No, really - my PC takes a couple of hundred W. Trust me on this one. ;-)
--
Grunff

What have you got in the thing?
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Depends which one you mean, but the hungriest one has a 2.4gig athlon (about 90W), 2 hard drives, and a GeForce 4. Not particularly high spec, but easily eats 200W when running.
--
Grunff

But, we're talking about when idle.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Doesn't spend a great deal of time idle!
--
Grunff

Even at 3am? Is it some sort of server? Do you run SETI?
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Funnily enough, 3am is backup time, which takes about 2 hours!
But the monitor's off then :-)
No, this one isn't the server - the server is a very modest 600MHz machine which probably does consume a mere 100W or so.
--
Grunff

Christian McArdle wrote:

Computers don't idle.

Yes they do.
Christian. (BEng Electronic and Computer Eng.)

Especially if they're Linux ones (though I think the latest Windows OS' have discovered the IDLE instruction as well - or is it HALT?).

Damn. Why do they have idle loops/processes/etc., then?
:o)

The Seagate Barracuda 80Gb drive I have in my PC consumes a whole 13W when active, and your cpu is spec'd at under 70W. Have you upped your bus speed to 600Mhz or something, or is your graphics card a real hog ? (Still would expect it to not be using much power in a quiescent mode, though - why have graphics work no-one can see...)
--
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Mail john rather than nospam...
John Laird wrote:

The graphics card is ~20-30W IIRC.
But at idle the monitor's powered down anyway, so surely if the comparison is to determine the significance of the monitor's consumption, then we need to look at consumotion with the PC running and outputting graphics?
Say it breaks down like this: CPU: 70W Graphics: 30W Motherboard: 10W All other cards: 5W 2x hard drives: 30W Losses in PSU: 30W (there's a very good reason it has it's own fan!) 2x case fans, cpu fan: 10W
Total: 185W
--
Grunff

This is possibly peak requirements?
The case fans must be pretty hefty to be sucking that much power... I have an 80mm one in fromt of me, it's only 0.14A (1.68w)
The most reliable way to see would be to actually measure it!
Sparks...
Sparks wrote:

There is no difference between a CPU rushing around in a tght loop and exrecising a full blown compile.
The only thing that opoerartion affects is sometimes disc stepper motors under high disc access. Otherwise a PC is a constant load device, no matter what it is doing.
Unless its switched off.

There is some difference, as a tight loop won't lead to many state changes. However, only very old operating systems run the CPU in the tight loop. Almost all operating systems will put the CPU into idle if there are no threads demanding execution, giving even greater power consumption drops.

This hasn't been true for about 10 years.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Well, you mena stepper motors don;t draw current these days?:-)
As far as CPU idling goes, only laptops seem to bother to do anything when the computer is not actually being tapped upon.
After all, the screen stll need srefreshing, the RAM all needs refreshing...the sort of 'lets slow down the CPU clock speed and RAM refresh rate until someone hits a keyboard' kind of thing costs money to implement...and lots of people myself included simply leave th bloody things on because parise be to microsnoit, they take too long to boot anyway...and they poll things like mail servers, and ther are other background tasks running all the time on a PC.
In short, depsite accepting all your points about switching speeds etc etc I still maintain that PC's in practice don't Idle.
MA Electrical sciences, Cambridge :-)

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Don't! You'll summon IMM...
--