OT. Model aeroplane Amazing

I used to have that hobby.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You want to see what the barking helicopter bods get up to :

John Rumm

elastic band. It was fun.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Mr Pounder writes

It's obvious that all that twisting about must require unbelievable skill, but after a minute or two of it, it starts becoming rather boring. I much prefer to see aeroplanes flying like aeroplanes.

I never got as far as radio control (diverting into amateur radio and skiffle instead!), but I've seen those RC planes with a single channel radio, rubber driven escapement controlling rudder-only (straight, left, straight, right straight left etc etc), and it was amazing what a skilled pilot could do.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I stuck with boats - figured its harder to fall out of the water!

Reply to
John Rumm

RC cars are even safer!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

First video is not that impressive. I've seen better. Still bores me stiff.

No rolling circle, no proper hovering.

see

can be done in a street or back garden.

I've seen people making em 'climb' walls..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Ian Jackson writes

I think that the Indonesian authorities are thinking the exact same thought

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
John Rumm

There's a Blackbird there, too.

Davey

well, yes :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't part of it, but I did go to some of their shows. There was a guy there who flew 2-control line planes (which you fly in a circle whilst standing at the centre). What was particularly spectacular was that he could fly two of these at once, chasing each other and engaging in dog fights - apparently he was the only person in the world (at the time) who could do this. What made this all the more remarkable was that we was quite severely cripled and had some considerable difficulty walking (I would guess something like polio), and control line flying is not something you can do by standing still. He really drew the crowds at their public events.

I did a google search but I can't find any info. Searching on finding variations on "two 2-control line planes" just doesn't work, and this was all before the WWW started (a sort of "dark ages").

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Err ...

used to fly these, many years ago. I once lost one when the lines broke at the handle and the trailing line provided just enough drag to make it fly in a straight line (control line models have built in rudder offset to make them try and fly out of the circle and keep the lines taut). It had some up elevator & climbed slowly out of sight, never to be seen again.

Reply to
Huge

The OP's was hovering at 4'29" though I think?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I remember doing a bit of that. We used to make what we called flying wings

and reckoned that virtually anything would fly if the engine was large enough. Always forgot to take gloves so got home with 1st & 2nd fingers in shreds from starting the damn things :)

2 in the middle certainly keeps the concentration going.
Reply to
brass monkey

As with the two slope soarers my friend and I took to Box Hill in the late '50's.

There was also the tale of the scale Avro Lincoln Bomber I saw at the Handley Page / SMAE show going AWOL during a radio controlled flight.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I never lost my non-RC gliders when I was flying them in the 60s. The tip-up tail was held in place by a rubber band with a piece of slow-burning fuse shoved through it. A few minutes into the flight and the tail would flip, bringing the glider into a controlled descent.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I recently thought about going back in to the hobby after 40 years and visited the local club. Things have not changed, the snobbery was still there. I may still have the Blackpool distance record for single channel. Radio failure as always.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You lost a control line model??!!!

Reply to