OT mobile phones

I lost my phone. It solved the problem of deciding to replace the battery or get a new/SH one.

I just need to phone people about work and occasioanl old fashioned things like making dental appointments and etc.

I want one that is easy to use and doesn't waste pocket space or money. Second hand good one or a Tesco cheapo, which?

TIA to posters who actually know what they are talking about. (Anyone else just f*ck off and waste someone else's time whilst waiting for your giro.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Assuming you have friends, ask someone if they have an old one lying around. Go to an ethnic minority style "We sell everything" type shop that does phone unlocking for a fiver. Unlock it. Go Tescos, buy new sim, top up and f*ck off and make calls cheaply. The only giro I wait for is the one the pilot flies in with when he brings me my £4k per month wages in.....

Reply to
Me Here

=A34000 a month is a good wage for a tradesman. I had to work around the clock for it though before the merchant bankers forced builders to get the east Europeans in and hammer down the wages.

No I don't have any friends. Weeding out the chaff like you was too time consuming.

I think I'll be getting a Tesco/Asda cheapo sim fitted if the phone doesn't turn up. I bought a fairly good tatty one from a workmate but sold it at cost to another workmate when the charger never arrived. Like you he was a time wasting liar so I let it drop.

He may just be the sort of friendly chap who forgets to fulfill his side of the bargain that passes for frienship these days. I prefer the term acquaintance as I don't have to waste emotyion on the rubbish.

People who don't waste my time and are worth sucking up to might gain my friendship. If I can see why I need them.

Mostly it is a form of insurance isn't it? You need friends you can rely on. If like you, your friends are gained without your discernment they may/probably will prove useless when you need them.

Do you have a mobile phone? Got any friends?

Don't answer that. I'm not interested. You will only know the answer to one and are too self hypnotised to realise it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Nokia 5210, the builder's phone, preferably in dark green, like mine. Plenty on EBay. Kids will laugh at you though. I believe you can get a pink case for it if you prefer :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Carphone Warehouse or W H Smith will sell you a basic phone with SIM for under £15

Reply to
Bob Martin

I got a Samsung from Asda earlier this year for =A310 including =A35 of calls.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , Weatherlawyer scribeth thus

You seem to have a bit of an attitude problem ..

Do you talk to people like that normally?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Me Here wrote: ...

How do you survive on that little?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Got my parents a couple of

but seem ok for the basics. Added advantage of being crap in most peoples eyes so a whole lot less nickable.

Makes calls and sends texts, decent battery life. Tesco net is O2 which was important for my parents as no other network has anything like the coverage around their place.

That one has speakerphone as well which can be handy - no bluetooth for headsets though if that's important to you.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Sounds like maybe we have an old school tradesman struggling to adapt to the new ways. IME, if they were a bit more civil, they might have less of a chip on the shoulder. I rang a few vinyl fitters the other day. Anyone who answered the phone with a guttural "ello" got hung up on. The one (and there was only one) who answered like a normal human being, and convinced me in the first sentence that he knew his stuff, got the job. He also got paid more than he asked for, plus tea and cakes

Reply to
stuart noble

Probably the tea boy on my last film shoot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What did "the one" say when he answered his phone?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't this. It lasted about 5 months before breaking.

Given the very low price of some PAYG offers I wouldn't do it again

tim

Reply to
tim....

He offered a special service whilst he was down on he's knees anyway.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It was a mobile, and he answered with "XYZ flooring" or whatever. In other words he sounded like he might be expecting potential customers to ring, which is only to be expected if you advertise in the local paper :-) You may be on your knees in the middle of a difficult job, but you have to see things from the caller's point of view. Why should I trust, and give money to, someone I don't know from Adam? I need to be convinced by that initial exchange that you're not a chancer. If you pay £50 a week for a small ad, those calls are valuable. I wonder what TMH thinks about that.

Reply to
stuart noble

When I reported losing my phone (to Tesco) they sent me a new SIM so I could keep my existing number - and transferred my credit on to the new SIM.

Tesco cheapy =A315 came with =A310 talktime voucher.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That was the correct way to answer the phone. It is pretty basic but people still do not do it correctly.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Im still using a 3310 with monochrome display that you can actually read in bright sunlight, unlike most new phones I have tried.

-
Reply to
Mark

I'll second Stuart's recommendation of the Nokia 5210. It's robust and reliable and the car kits are sturdy and usually easy to find.

There is a near-identical 5310 (IIRC) with Bluetooth but that isn't so easy to find. There are plenty of used/refurbished 5210s on eBay.

Reply to
Bruce

I've had 2 decent nokia cheapos from Asda in the past 6 months ( the first one made it's way into a pint of wine late one night, so I bought a new one, then the old one started working again) the first was £9.99, the second about £20.

Calls are 8p to any network or landline at any time and texts 4p each....I looked into the tesco sims where the calls are 10p and txts 5p, but they treble your topups, they worked out to be a con...if you put a tenner on, they treble it to 30 quid, but you have to use all of that within the month, it's a pita at 5p a minute, so it's largely un-doable therfore the calls and texts work out dearer.

I've known a few people who've bought 'fancy' 2nd hand ones, only to find that they are a bag of s**te, YMMV.

Reply to
Phil L