OT: Meldrew moment

They do now. Ar ALDI anyway.

A Stephen Fry said; "What's so good about Sainsburys? It keeps the scum out of Waitrose".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On 28/03/2015 14:42, Robin wrote: Even Tesco in Hackney

You mean "Hackney Village" :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ALDI now take credit cards as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On 28/03/2015 13:37, tim..... wrote: ...

Why not? I rarely pay for anything with cash these days.

Reply to
Nightjar

The two Lidl branches that I use take credit cards (Leatherhead & Dorking)

Reply to
charles

A lot of people. I've seen them in Costa using a credit card for a single cup of coffee

Reply to
charles

but, I think, are cheaper for the vendor (ie lower commission)

Reply to
charles

Never could see the sense of the coin changer machines with their "Change your coins into cash" adverts. What's the point of changing the coins into a voucher for less than the value of the coins which you then use instead of money at the checkout. Checkout operators accept coins at full face value.

Some of our local small shops are frequently short of coins for change and would gladly take a few pounds worth of coins in straight exchange for notes.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Ah right. That's what I tried to feed notes into a couple of times. The problem is I use Morrisons so infrequently for breaking ?20's that I'll have forgotten how they work by the next time I go in there.

And there's no diagrams or anything so you have to call the assistant and get treated like just another one of the dribblers.

A hopper seems a great feature for the benefit of customers who've got pocketfuls of coins to get rid of but otherwise why not stick to a couple of slots for coins and notes like everybody else ?

Anyway the way things are going I doubt Morrisons are going to be around for very much longer.

michael adams

michael adams

Yes, could, not couldn't.

Reply to
Clive George

But a 70p can of drink? I wonder what the cost of the transaction would be?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you pay by credit card, it is a percentage of the transaction, probably about 1p on that amount. Debit cards are usually charged at a flat rate, so are more expensive to the retailer for small transactions.

Reply to
Nightjar

The interesting this is - I put all my change in and overpaid by about % and a bit quid (it was counting a little slower than I thought and I also did not notice a few £1 coins).

It gave me change as a paper fiver plus remainder, which I thought was nice...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe they are for laundering the coins stolen from some collection jar?

Reply to
dennis

Who wants to get dirty money out and then eat their sandwich? Anyway its easy to pay with a contactless card.

Reply to
dennis

Yes. They've always taken debit cards, and have recently started taking credit cards too.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This thread is now getting a bit sad, but...

I'm not a mathematician but its possible to prove that's its never necessary to accumulate more than a pound's worth of loose change (it may be two pounds) so long as you always use up your smallest coins at every opportunity. Which I always try to do. In addition to this I noticed a model guide dog in a local Sainsbury with a sign - Every penny counts" on it and so despite the fact that I've paid by card, ever since then every week if I visit that store I always put any change I've accumulated, which won't be much up to 10p pieces, into that dog. Even sadder - particular branches of Tescos always dispense crisp newish fivers and tenners when breaking a twenty. Just like the old days in banks when they would actually ask you if you wanted new notes. Which is nice. Nicer than the "bottom of the budgies cage" specials you can get out of other machines or in shops.

michael adams

michael adams

I use my card most of the time when using self service machines. And we have a Tesci Express in our village, near our house so am always popping in there for stuff.

It's just as quick, if not quicker to use a card as cash , by the time you have found the money, put it in the slot etc, waited, as it counts it out (you can put the money in faster than it counts it), had to putt he note back in as it didn't liek it the first time.

Card in machine, punch a few buttons and your are done (I don't think they bother to actually get authorisation from the bank - certainly for small transactions, it seems instant, I guess they carry the risk)

Reply to
Chris French

Why should I care, if the shop thinks it's worthwile for them (though if I was paying a person, I'd probably pay cash for it).

And cash is not cost free to the shop either

Reply to
Chris French

because reconciling your statement when you have 30 transactions for 3.79 is a PITA

tim

Reply to
tim.....