OT (maybe): sound quality on an audio unit

This isn't likely to be DIY, but anyway:

I have an iPod docking station: a Sony SRS-GU10iP.

I'm very surprised and disappointed to say this of a Sony product, but it's crap! The sound is very, VERY bassy. Ironically it has a Bass Boost on it, but with that turned off, the sound is boomy/thuddy to the point where I can hardly make out the words on some tracks.

[ Although I'm shall-we-say "past 40", this isn't the old "affliction of the old" thing: my hearing is absolutely fine on all our other audio equipment(s). ]

In addition to its lousy, boom-box-type sound quality, controls on the thing are minimal, and obviously there are no treble or bass controls. Is there any way to get inside such an item and make manual adjustments to the treble/bass?

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Have you tried using the equaliser function on the iPod?

The system is described by Sony as a Full Range Bass Reflex system, so my initial thought about disconnected or defective tweeters seem to be ruled out. Though just how much clean bass you can get from a 57mm driver, I'm not sure.

If you bought it from a DSG store, I've had warranty return units sold to me as new before now.

For what it's worth, I have a Gear4 unit which does a very nice job using either Bluetooth from a laptop or mobile phone or wired connections and is under a foot long by about three inches square. This one:-

John Williamson

Yes certainly. But if you don't know whether its possible I'm not convinced you're going to be able to do it. Adding a bass control would sound of use, if your matching media player lacks one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks NT -- you express my own thoughts, actually!

Thanks also to JW, who suggested using the EQ controls on the iPad: in fact I do do that: it's a real damn' faff, and the results variable! But it looks like the only option (apart from giving it away to some kind of club who need a boombox sound system, and buying a better one for me!).

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Another John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@surfnet-nl.ipv.ptr.145.109.x.invalid:

To some people loads of bass equates to quality! They miss the subtleties of violin strings, snares on drums, etc. they miss so much.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yeah, it's designed for chavs.

Reply to