OT: Mathematical Conundrum III

====snip====

I rather suspect it'll be the OP who qualifies for this particular 'honour'. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Well there's little point in sinking the boat.

It's mostly the vodka that does the job.

I wasn't taught how a screwdriver works at school, and last year I was asked if I had any minus screwdrivers, do you know what they are or how to use them ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Indeed, and reading in general is a very big part of that... its sometimes very easy for those of us with a technical disposition to dismiss "shakespeare or virtually any other story book", when in reality there is a wealth of knowledge and understanding contained therein, not least training the mind to think and analyse.

One of the nice things about the physical sciences is the ease with which one can make the subject "come alive" with practical demonstrations. You know you have found a truly good teacher who can do the same but with other non demonstrable subjects.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you have to? Couldn't you just stop?

Reply to
GB

Can't. Too much public demand.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There is a valid conundrum for you: Can zero ever be too much?

Reply to
Paul Herber

Absolutely!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ah, so that descriptoon was not unique to a teenager at our theatre. when asked whaqt he meant he said "not a positive one" (Posidrive) The blade could be sonsidered as a minus sign.

Reply to
charles

I find motorists do emergency stops for people walking PAST zebra crossings. I don't stop unless someone is already waiting and looking across the road, or at me to see if I'm stopping, and if I can stop without braking hard.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Or less fines for motorists.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Your name has changed back.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

No it wouldn't, the wheels would fall off first.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A flat bladed screwdriver ? Those symbols for Phillips and other cross head screwdrivers look like plus signs so somebody with a logical mind but no practical experience on seeing a drawing or set of instructions with symbols for a slot head screw might ask for a "minus" screwdriver. Aren't they mainly used as emergency chisels.,wedges and miniature crowbars nowadays.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Good point.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Getting lids off old paint tins (usually by driving them through the lid in my case).

Reply to
Jim_S

Don't you just heat the tin until the lid pops off ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tried it with a plastic one. It didn't work. Wife's not speaking to me.

Reply to
Jim_S

In message , Cursitor Doom writes

ARGH! Please, no. Seeing dy/dx still gives me nightmares :-)

Reply to
News

Matrices and tensor calculus is where I glaze over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I loved matrices - but tensor calculus broke my brain...

Reply to
Tim Watts