OT: mathematical conundrum

Ok, let's try this:

If 'i' is the square root of minus 1, what is 'i' squared?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

-1

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Bugger. You got it right straight away. I was hoping for a lengthy, argumentative thread on this!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Anyway, it's j really.

Reply to
Bob Eager

that depends on whether you are a mathematicial or an engineer. The latter tend to use "i" for current.

Reply to
charles

I thought the whole point about "i" was that it ain't real.

Reply to
Robin

Andy Cap

Actually, it is. The label "imaginary numbers" is a misnomer.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But what is i^4?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Since when? I've always known it as 'i'. See also

Chris Hogg

-1: the same as (i^2 x i^2)?

Whether it is or not, its square is still -1.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is the wrong answer. No imaginary coconut for you, then!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I beg to differ: -1 x -1 = +1.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

+1

(that's giving the answer AND agreeing with Tim. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

i is j; they're the same thing. It's just that i already reserved in electronics and electrical engineering as the symbol for current, so in these disciplines we use j instead of i to avoid confusion.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Isn't that a bit like say: Pegasus without his wings is just an ordinary horse. It requires that Pegasus is there in the first place, surely?

Reply to
GB

1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One can IMHO reconcile the mathematical and engineering notations by defining j as equal to -i resulting in i * j = 1 - not to be confused with quaternions

For further amusement, see

and the article containing it.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

This thread was entitled "mathematical conundrum". I've yet to understand what the conundrum is, perhaps I missed it, if so could someone point it out?

Reply to
Tim Streater