OT - Making black and white smoke to order

How do they do it? The news picture looked like they were burning an old car tyre so that accounts for the black smoke. How will they make the white smoke? Stage smoke machine or something more traditional? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Water on the ballot papers.

Reply to
polygonum

According to one news report today, the last time this whole shindig took place the eventual white smoke looked identical to the foregoing black variety; someone had to come out and tell the waiting crowds that the someone had actually got the job. "But this time," said the reporter, "they've apparently got a new burner and the smoke really will be white".

Reply to
Bert Coules

Drain tester pyrotechnics at an educated guess.

Waxolene dyes are the traditional colour choice for aircraft display teams, but I expect the Vatican uses something far more medieval.

Martin Brown

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Who cares? Bunch of out-of-touch, irrelevant prejudiced old farts voting for their chief out-of-touch, irrelevant prejudiced old fart.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I vaguely recall the ambiguity in the past. That's why I suspect a stage smoke machine this time. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Indeed, 'tis all the devil's work:

"Jack look up (Look Up) I can black smoke in the sky (Smoke in the sky) Just look up there's Brimstone & Fire (Everything was destroyed in seconds)"

Reply to
fred

A news item on the beeb earlier this evening showed two small cylindrical stoves, rather like the old fashioned tortoise stoves, connected to a temporarily erected chimney supported by scaffolding, the implication being one stove for white smoke, the other for black. No idea how they make the smoke the correct colour though. I was once told that smoke screens laid down by warships in WW2 were made by injecting titanium tetrachloride into the smoke stack, where it reacted with the steam to produce an aerosol of titanium dioxide and hydrochloric acid; very white if a little unpleasant.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It used to be by adding wet straw to the ballot paper fire, so the white smoke was actually steam.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tim asked:

I should have realised this earlier: for white smoke they burn a white heretic, and for black smoke...

Reply to
Bert Coules

And also contributing towards many deaths. I've never seen such bollocks in all my life. Why do they have such a following? Looks like they do bloody well on the collection plate.

Reply to
brass monkey

Hopefully Hetas approved, be a Cardinal sin otherwise.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What's the relevance of that to black and white smoke?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There is something in that article that seems to say that the Red Arrows are running on Red Diesel...

Reply to
ARW

Burning phosphorous is simple and makes a pretty good white smoke although it is more than a little unpleasant to handle and the smoke is toxic and corrosive. But since they only need to do it infrequently.

Lets hope they pick one that lasts a bit longer since there are some who believe that this will be the last Pope ever.... TEOTW is nigh!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Apparently the other way round, according to Wiki:

"The colour of the smoke signals the results to the people assembled in St Peter's Square. Dark smoke signals (fumata nera) indicate that the ballot did not result in an election, while white smoke signals (fumata bianca) announce that a new pope was chosen. Originally, damp straw was added to the fire to create dark smoke; beginning in 1963 coloring chemicals have been added, and beginning in 2005 bells ring after a successful election, to augment the white smoke, and especially if the white smoke is not unambiguously white."

and scroll down to "post-scrutiny"

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Actually, I'd love to see a joker produce some other colour of smoke to lighten up this otherwise completely irrelevant and boring appointment process. Not my words, but those of a Catholic friend of mine who feels the old guy is a total waste of Oxygen in any case!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Orange would be popular in some areas ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Something more traditional. An article says: Black is potassium perchlorate, anthracene, and sulphur. White ist potassium chlorate, lactose and rosin.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

:-)