OT: Major workshop music muscle - and two fingers up to the Performing Seals Society

Well, that's a result. Went into my local electrical goods and repair shop, was chatting about a new microwave, as mine's on the blink, and happened to mention I was looking to pick up a used amp for the workshop; just something small and boogie-boxy, to plug a wifi extender into and listen to music streams. "Hold on", he said and popped into the back room, coming back out with a couple of items. "Have these, they're a bit scabby but work fine and they were a kind of trade-in that I can find no use for."

Fuck's sake - only a matched pair of Toshiba SY and SC 330 pre-amp and amp. 1978 vintage and working perfectly. My initial thought was really, these are too good to be slung into the workshop, but thinking about it, they're absolutely perfect - big sound and good quality, too. Unlike most horrible workshop trannies or so-called music systems, I can be boogying away while spannering and entertain the neighbours. I shall build them into a cabinet of sorts to keep the damp away from them, as that's what kills stuff in there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

For free? Not to complain

Reply to
Hog.

Mint. Now all you need is a handful (or two) of silica packs to bolster up any anti damp measures you take.

Reply to
Beav

I'm not, believe me, I'm not. I had a notion to build a car headunit into a suitcase and have fold-out speaker pods, but the only h/u with easy input is in the car and I'm not ripping that out just yet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh yes. Actually by far and away the cheapest source of silica gel is some variety of kitty litter - if you can find it. Sepicat for example - my local stockist has the normal type, must see if they can get the silica version in.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Which will have absorbed all the water it is going to ina bout 24hrs. Better to keep the kit above the dew point with a little bit of gentle heat. OP said he was going to box the amp in just don't bother switching it off, it's own waste heat will keep it warm and dry.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, but it's the silica gel litter that's needed, although ordinary litter will absorb some, sure, I just don't know how much. Also be worthwhile getting some indicator gel to mix in with it; assuming the litter doesn't have any.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon