OT mail reader

I have used News.individual.net for some years when it used to be free. I am due to renew my subscription, at E10 for the year good value. However it seems to be steadily getting slower, anyone any suggestions as to an alternative, either free or about the same price? Is it getting slower or is my system, like me, just growing old and tired?

Reply to
Broadback

I've not noticed any deterioration of the service.

Reply to
Reentrant

Broadback,

I've noticed no problems here with individual.net. Have you tried doing some maintenance on your newsreader such as resetting the groups?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Have you killfiled a lot of threads/posters? I periodically clear my killfiles, as full files seem to seriously slow downloads.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not noticed anything here. How much news have you got horded away on your PC? Some programs store news is single files, once these get "a bit big" adding new articles to them becomes a slow process. This sort of fits with your "steadily slower" symptom.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is your ISP doing some underhand "traffic management?"

Reply to
Adrian C

There are hundreds of free servers about. You do not need to pay. You might have noticed that paying provides no advantage. If you can post to a newsgroup there is no excuse for not finding the information for yourself.

Reply to
Clive

No problem here with it at all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Same variation I expect on all servers - sometimes blindingly fast, sometimes a bit slower. Quite often I find my anti-virus updates are actually why it appears to be running slowly.

But why has this thread got the subject "mail reader"? - Seems you are asking about mail server. I was expecting another rehash of the 'which news reader software' debate.

Reply to
Rod

Actually, he's asking about news server! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed - and what you *know* I meant. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Motzarella is free, and seems to work OK.

I have just switched from N.I.N.

Reply to
Ziggur

You get what you pay for. Or in the case of NIN you pay for *not* getting the spam.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pipex did this for a while, it was taking up to 20 minutes to get the headers for about 15 groups with only up to 200 posts per day, and 5 minutes per individual post to download several lines of plain text.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Seconded - been using them for about 12 months following hassle being able to pay for N.I.N. using three different valid credit cards (rejected by the payment processor)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

And Tiscali still do.

Hopefully, they'll go out of business soon.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for all the help, I will try Motzarella and see how it goes.

Reply to
Broadback

Was that ClicknPay, by any chance? They appear to be a useless bunch of incompetent tossers, and I have just cancelled my account with them (I only used it to pay NIN) and switched to Paypal.

Reply to
Huge

They actually disabled newsgroup access totally here at some times of the day for a while. I wrote to them and said if this continues I'd move ISP. And it wasn't just their 'own' server I couldn't get but all the others I tried. Luckily things are back to normal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding - are you saying that you can now use PayPal to pay NIN?

Reply to
S Viemeister