OT: MAGIC website

MAGIC is the Multi Agent Geographic Information for the Countryside website.

Shows land use and other designated areas for UK against OS maps at up to

1:10000 scale (which should be enough to show your house and garden) with tools such as linear and area measurements.

Given the 'pay for services' moves of the government over the last few years, to have all this for free is quite remarkable.

Lots of fun there.

Reply to
OG

In message , OG writes

Pile of s**te is more how I'd describe it

slow and primitive, not user friendly

Reply to
geoff

That's harsh. Granted it's not easy to use, but it's not primitive. It's worth spending some time understanding the user interface to get at the detail.

Reply to
Robin

How much time? Opened it this morning and waited at least half an hour for it not to download/work.

Reply to
Rod

Works fine here - and it certainly isn't slow. It does seem to be browser dependent though - wouldn't work at all on Safari.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

You're not using it properly then. I had to wait for seconds for it to show me what I wanted.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Maybe. But I side with geoff on this one. I have re-tried - it works - sort of.

Reply to
Rod

In message , Robin

Reply to
geoff

Try "Broadband"............

The civilised areas have it.

Reply to
RW

4 Mbps
Reply to
Rod

It is typical of GIS systems, certainly those used by Government.

It might appear fast and user-friendly to those who developed it, but ordinary mortals will find it disappointing.

Reply to
Bruce

Not being sarcastic, but what would this be useful for?

Reply to
stuart noble

I suspect it is of more value for Government inter-departmental use than anything else. Having worked for one of the Government departments that helped develop it, I can see it is a useful extension of the GIS system we had developed in the 1990s.

The good thing about it is that it is free. My department's GIS was available to outside agencies, companies and individuals but only in return for payment of a fairly stiff fee. As a result, it got very little use.

It is also of use for planning purposes, and for the routing of new roads, railways (if we ever build any) and pipelines. It will also be of value to the groups who oppose such developments.

But for the man in the street, it is almost completely irrelevant.

Reply to
Bruce

Thanks. I am that man :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

And I am one of them too.

It is only of interest to me because I recall a previous GIS, which was also of little relevance to the man in the street. I wonder why they even bothered making this one public?

Reply to
Bruce

"Note: The supported web browsers for the Interactive Map are Internet Explorer version 5 and later, Netscape Navigator version 7 and later and Firefox 1.04. Your screen resolution should be set at 800x600 pixels or higher."

Works fine in FireFox. User interface was fairly inuitive and it certainly wasn't slow.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

For me, works much better in Firefox. Was very slow in IE. No idea why.

I often use IE for tryouts, especially as many things claim to work in IE but not other browsers. But I use Firefox as my standard browser. Should have just stuck with that! :-)

Reply to
Rod

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "OG" saying something like:

Looks pretty crap, really.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's fine :-)

I wasn't expecting everyone to find a use for it.

Reply to
OG