OT Magic tricks.

Don't see how thisis done except by video editing?

Reply to
harryagain

Lots over very obvious moving compartments or partitions ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I am still pissed from last night but I can see them opening the partitions

Reply to
ARW

Partition magic.

I'll get my coat.

michael adams

michael adams

Wow! So sharp, so early :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Smoke and mirrors:

Maybe don't need the smoke... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

can you translate that into English, please

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Ask TMH.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My fingers do an increasingly bad job of spelling out my thoughts, I presume the "over" started out as "of" in my head.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If I told him - I'd have to kill him afterwards....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You could see that live. You're not supposed to see how it's done.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote

Most of it is the same illusion in a different wrapper. He's taken all the 'Copperfield' bullshit out of the performance, probably because his English is rubbish.

Reply to
Sailor

When I was a kid, I was the same unbearable know-all smartarse as I turned out later on. I remember when I was about 6 or 7 we had a new visitor to the house, either a new in-law or in-law to be. I remember a big fuss being made about this bloke on account of the fact that he could do magic tricks.

I can't remember any of the actual tricks only that he performed them standing in front of the mantlepiece in our front room. With about 8 adults present.

But what I can remember is that after one particular trick I either asked him something, or pointed out how I thought it was done as his response was something along the lines of "you can't do these tricks in front of kids as they can be good at working out how you do them".

Which was obviously nonsense. Only later did I work out that with a lot of these amateur(ish) magicians, as with bad singers, many adults watching might well see through the trick but would probably be too polite to say anything so as not to embarrass the person doing the trick.

michael adams

michael adams

Oh I see

I did initially wonder if you were using some code words specific to photoshopping (or the video equivalent thereof)

I know, in principle, how these tricks are done, but they did seem to be doing them extraordinarily fast without the necessary gaps for the assistant to get in place.

But watching it again I can see that the time is there for the "move" with only the reveal done speedily - Except for number 1. There there really is no time for him to get from a hiding place into the box, so he must have been in it all the time it was suspended and rotated, which means that he needed a serious bit of kit for that.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

There are, alas, many very bad amateur magicians about. The problem with very young children is that they don't yet appreciate, for example, that things can't just vanish. With older children, they haven't been programmed by life yet, so that you can't control their attention.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The assistants are known as "box jumpers" and are usually dancers or gymnasts.

And a serious amount of practice and rehearsal.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And not a few professional ones as well. A really good, dramatically satisfying magic performance is extremely rare, sadly.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Ever seen Etienne Pradier perform? Comes from your neck of the woods.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

having once taken a teenage daughter to see a recording of a Paul Daniel's magic show at BBC Tv Centre, I entirely agree with you. Re-takes abounded.

Reply to
charles

By the look of it it was a "so many tricks within a timespan" challenge.

Reply to
alan_m