OT - M&W micrometer adjusting spanner?

Long shot I know, but...

I have an old Moore & Wright micrometer, which needs a little adjustment to get the zero accurate and maybe strip down for a clean, unfortunately it came without the little spanner. It is a little over

2" long, with a C at one end, an open ender at the other and I understand it is standard spanner for all models. I wonder if anyone might have one surplus to their needs?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You don't need it for a strip down and clean, but can't you make something that will let you adjust it? It's only a pin on an arc.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have already tried to make one - it just wasn't strong enough to budge it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, they are quite stiff to move.

I only have the one for my 0.0001 model, or I would have lent you it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've had mine for 40 years and the supplied spanners never did undo the two lock rings, so I've always allowed for the offset.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Drill bit, used radially. You can get a good fit in the hole and provided it's not stuck, there's enough leverage to adjust. Just remember to hold it radially and don't knacker the hole edges.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What you wrote prompted to get mine out, micrometer, that is :-)

It doesn't have two lock rings, just an adjuster to take out the backlash in the screw thread and the ability to rotate the fixed barrel that has the 1/10000 vernier scale on it. As I wrote earlier, they are very stiff to move.

Harry, do you have a kitchen strap wrench? That might be worth looking at, they are very cheap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think you probably mean 1/1000...

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A M&W Micrometer can (optionally) have an additional vernier scale around the sleeve to enable you to estimate 10,000 of an inch.

Reply to
John

This link should take you to an illustration that shows the optional vernier scale. For 0.0001"

people seem to have too much reliance on digital instruments - forgetting that the method of measuring still needs to be sound.

Reply to
John

Alternative view of the vernier giving 0.0001 reading ability.

John

I was talking at cross purposes then, mine is a 0-1" and 1"-2" with two separate anvils to change the range. The anvils each have two lockrings with notches for a C spanner.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I was going to 'make' one (just a bit of cord and a nail) to try turning the barrel, but I do also need to strip it down to give it a good clean and lub.. The only thing which is out, is the course calibration along the barrel - the zero mark is about 7 thou out. The fine calibration is spot on. I rather suspected that turning the barrel would set up both the course and fine calibration marks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, it is capable of measuring down to one ten thousand of an inch.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :

An hour ago I managed to track one down - Mitchell Fox, Leeds £2.29 each if anyone else might need one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

tightens the thread.

Reply to