OT - low temperature wash

If you don't mind paying the extra.

Our fridge is a 700mm wide one so we can get two 4-pintas in the door pocket as well as a couple of bottles and a juice carton or two.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's just something else to factor into the whole business of keeping a ready supply to hand in the fridge.

Although we're almost an "Empty Nester" couple, we still have the weekend pleasure of our work away from home youngest son who prefers a drop of tea in his milk (likewise the odd bit of cereal in his breakfast/ supper bowl of milk).

It's not very often that we land up pouring more than a pint of unused milk down the drain by the end of the week so the price disparity between a 1 litre and a 4 pinter bottle still makes the economy of scale on a four pint purchase the most viable option, especially when it's better to have slightly too much rather slightly too little.

Regardless of whether it's a 1 litre or a four pinta bottle, the right way of handling the product does go a long way towards it surviving its BB date. Of course, it's a different matter entirely when it's either delivered on a daily basis to your doorstep by the pint or you pop into your local shop every other day for a fresh pack.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

The *only* time our milk goes off before the BB date is when we buy it from our local shop rather than the supermarket. I suspect that it sits out getting warm before being put into their fridge.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

37C at a guess. Blood heat.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

But I'm a S/W engineer. It goes with the job ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You're right, it's a big difference. If I bought 4 pint instead of 2 pints I could save as much as 75p a week...

There's another point. /She/ says 4 pints is too damn heavy.

Anfy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I tell you what tho. SWMBO makes off with the trolley and says, go get the milk. So off I toddles and picks up 2 x 4pt green-top, and 1 x 4pt orange=top (if there's some there), and then start searching for her. She always manages to vanish and there I am with 3 large BLOODY COLD bottles of klim to cart around until she's spotted down some unlikely aisle.

We get through 12 pints a week and it never goes off.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We get ours delivered by Ocado.

20 pints in our case! And yes, no time to go off. Even last week when there were only two of us here.
Reply to
Bob Eager

Ours is delivered by the postie, along with the paper.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That would involve ours staying out of the fridge for several hours. Which is where we came in.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don?t, because no clean plates is what determines the time the dishwasher is actually run.

Me too.

Not with mine.

Reply to
kshy

We have a rather large mailbox, and that's where the postie puts the milk. I've been considering insulating it... Many years ago, my parents had an insulated box for milk deliveries, and it worked very well.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That reminded me of the joke question/answer session regarding where in the universe the Galaxy chocolate bar was kept, you must know it. It's the one which starts Q: where do you keep your Galaxy? A: in the fridge, Q: where's the fridge? A: in the kitchen... and ends with the final sequence, A: In the Galaxy. Q: Where's the Galaxy, A: In the fridge!

Oh, how I smiled when I heard the final 'punch line'. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I bet that if doorstep delivery was proposed as a new service, the Health & Safety folk would do a Risk Assessment and declare the whole idea of milk left to stew gently in the sun, to be manifestly unsound.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's certainly something which is considered by environmental health for commercial premises, which are expected to maintain temperature control from source.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But isn't this why many people gave up the doorstep delivery. Milk delivered after you go to work remains on the doorstep all day and goes off.

Reply to
alan_m

I've just been looking up hot and cold fill washing machines. The current one is leaping round the kitchen, I guess its concrete is disconnected and if it is terminal, I want to be able to just go out and buy its replacement. The Argos site is a nightmare, lots of machines but no simple way to determine what the fill requirements are. So far only John Lewis can offer product sorting which works. Before any pratt says that I should use a cold fill machine, forget it! Almost all washes are high temperature and the hot water is available.

Reply to
Capitol

At the risk of being a prat, will it even see any hot water by the time it has taken its fill? (Length of pipe)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought most machines were cold fill only anyway these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had thought so, too - but our new one has both hot and cold.

Reply to
S Viemeister