OT: Long-reach hedge trimmer

We have quite a large hedge - about 3m tall. I want one of those telescopic hedge trimmers that allows you to stand on the ground and trim the whole hedge, including the top. Any suggestions for one that is decent and won't cost the earth, please?

Reply to
GB

Not sure if you are seeking powered or manual. Then again powered would be a bit hairy?

On that note, how about using one of these?

Reply to
Adrian C

It happens that GB formulated :

I have a petrol powered brush cutter, which came with a small chain saw, strimmer and an hedge trimmer adaptor. As is - it would easily reach your 3m, but it also came with a shaft extension giving an extra metre or so of extra reach. Basically it uses a shaft drive and the accessory you fit on the end converts the drive to reciprocating. I got it for a bit over £100 on ebay. The chain saw is fairly useless but the other gadgets are OK, it is however quite heavy to handle. It was called something like a 4 in 1.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think you'll find these are not priced at the "B&Q, lasts only one season" rate, as they're rather more professional tools.

I bought one last year, a Stihl, as recommended here by someone at the time. Very nice piece of kit. It pissed me off that Stihl don't allow their stockists to supply mail-order, so I had to go and collect. You can find plenty of places advertising them on the net, but none will supply, unless you've bought power tools from them before. Apparently this is so they can give you a talk on safe use of the tool before you go off with it. I'll give you one guess on if that happened or not;-) Actually, I found that many of the places supplied for significantly less than their own (or indeed any of the) quoted web prices anyway.

I specifically wanted an electric one as I already have outdoor power points specifically for this purpose, but the stockists only seem to keep petrol ones in stock so it had to be ordered, but only took a day or two to arrive in stock.

Only used it for one season so far (two trimmings). It's very quiet and vibration-free compared with a bog standard DIY hedge trimmer, but more powerful (new blades probably help). I found that I still wanted to go back to my old hedge trimmer for a few small areas (which was when I really noticed the difference between them); there are a few places where it's not convenient to use a 6'+ hedge trimmer because you can't stand back far enough from what you're trimming. The Stihl is not telescopic; it's fixed length (there are two versions with slightly different fixed lengths).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had one. It got stolen. I didn't replace it.

Why?

I don't have the upper body of a gorilla.

I bought a step ladder instead.

PLEASE before you invest, just take one outside the shop, and stand there for half an hour with it above your head.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does this mean you can potentially have a chainsaw on the end of a 4m pole? Crikey - that's got *fantastic* disaster pontential!

Reply to
David

Basically, yes. It supposed to be able to reach up to chop branches off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I had a similar sized hedge and found I could cut the sides in the usual way, and then use an old long hedging tool to quite satisfyingly bash off the top edge. Mind, if the stems were thick it would be best to cut a good couple of feet off the top first with a saw and let some new growth fill it back.

spamlet