[OT] logitech squeezebox

Hello,

I don't know if it is too off topic to ask, but does anyone use anything like the logitech squeeze box? Can you recommend anything similar by any other manufacturer?

The problem I see with the squeezebox touch is that it requires connection to something else, presumably an amp or the aux input of a stereo. Great for sound quality but it does mean you need to switch two things on and use two remote controls, which is not SWMBO friendly. Whereas the products with speakers built in, like the squeezebox radio, have only one speaker which means mono output. As I type this, I have noticed a logitech touch and speaker bundle, so perhaps there is a way forward for me after all.

I wonder why they don't make a device with a tv-out, rather than a tiny screen but then I suppose that would add a third device and a third remote control.

What are your experiences?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Got a Roberts WM202 - like the MP3 playback and the Internet radio. Use it with "Twonky" server running on my PC.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Yes. I have three; 2 Classics & a Duet.

Well, no, since I am more than happy with the Squeezeboxen.

You could use a universal remote on a tablet. SB do both iPad and Android apps. There are plenty of "universal remote" apps for tablets to drive the stereo. At least it would be all on one "remote".

Why not plug a pair of powered speakers into a Squeezebox? This is the arrangement I have in one room - the only control you need is the SB one - it does volume and I don't care about anything else. (The speakers are Wharfedale Active Diamonds. You can't get them any more, more's the pity.)

Reply to
Huge

Squeezebox Boom. Stereo, excellent sound quality for such a small device, only one remote control. (And as with all Squeezebox things, can also be controlled from any PC, the squeezebox app on a mobile phone, and so on.)

Unfortunately discontinued, but still very well supported by the server software. If you can find one second-hand, go for it!

Stephen Early

Reply to
Stephen Early

In message , Stephen writes

On a slightly different note, my car stereo only has a 3.5mm jack aux input. I'm currently using an ipod as a music source but the battery is on its way out

Can anyone suggest a better media device for onboard music?

As there is only a jack input, control has to lie entirely with the music source

Reply to
geoff

HI Geoff

Depends how much 'user interface' you need - but I'm currently waiting on delivery of a couple of these

(I've got a supplier in the UK, but can't find the link right now!)

These modules will accept a USB 'stick', and have three buttons for 'next', 'previous' and 'play/pause' - stereo line level out - 9 - 12v in (though they do recommend dropping automotive 12v with 68R/1W to save cooking it).

My application is to adapt an existing music system for 'in-shop' music, to save changing CDs, fiddling with the radio etc.

Velleman have some other similar projects

'm using their K8095 at the moment for a mobile jukebox - sits in a biggish speaker cabinet with a pair of oval speakers and a big dryfit battery - plays tracks at random from an SD card.

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Can't you get a car charger for the ipod?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I've got one,

It's when the ipod goes into a sulk and decides the battery's too low to work. It can take half an hour to recover

Reply to
geoff

Interesting, but I think I want a more complete solution with decent memory, display and all that will just plug into the input jack

Reply to
geoff

Any other generic MP3 player? I have one with 1GB of memory, display (admitedly small, about 1 x 3 cm) headphone out that I plug into a cassette adapter in the car. Has a USB port and appears as a drive on the PC to move files to and from (don't have to be MP3's...). Cost about =A330 IIRC.

Oh look an image about life size on my monitor:

's old now and probably not available for new supply but there plenty of other cheap generic MP3 players about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd be inclined to replace the stereo itself then to one that will take USB sticks. I've got one and use a Sony Micro Vault Mini USB Drive which is tiny so nothing sticking out too far asking to be snapped off.

At least this way everything's well integrated, easy to user/read and no trailing wires

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Oops, seems the Mini is something else - it's the Tiny I'm talking aboutt:

Mathew Newton

Shouldn't one be watching the road whilst driving? And what is there to see anyway, a still iamge, album/track title?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice