OT; Links not working

Hi

All of a sudden, clicking on links in peoples posts doesn't work. For example the link in Braille Trail's recent post. Nothing happens when I click it, I have to copy it & paste into the thingy bar.

Previously I just clicked on the link & the page opened.

Using OE6.

Any idea whats going on?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

the ladder link in the 14:09 ladder email from Braile works ok for me from thunderbird, so its a fualt with your OE6, or firewall, or something...

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I didn't think it was the links as several have failed. Guess it must be something to do with my settings, but don't know what.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In IE try Tools, Delete Browsing History. I find a similar problem sometimes and the above act seems to sort it out for me.

Reply to
Clot

And look at IE>INTERNET OPTIONS>TOOLS>PROGRAMMES to check that the default programms are what they should be.

When my Dads computer did this I did a system restore to a wek earlier, that cured the problem.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Try clearing the browser cache......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Thanks. Tried that, still the same.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How would a numpty like me know what they should be :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Right. The old browser cache ploy....

WTF is a browser cache?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That would be OE and IE for your email and web defaults.

But do consider using a restore point.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Web caches reduce the amount of information that needs to be transmitted across the network, as information previously stored in the cache can often be re-used. This reduces bandwidth and processing requirements of the web server, and helps to improve responsiveness for users of the web.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

At the risk of sounding like every other support person in the universe, have you tried shutting the computer down and restarting?

OE6 sometimes gets knickers twisted with IE holding things open. There may be a rogue IE session you can't see - killing it would work, but restarting the computer is a sure way of doing that.

Reply to
Clive George

Easily fixed. You take an angle grinder and ... ;-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

in other words, IE keeps a directory full of previous crap you have downloaded on the off chance it might save downloading it again, or might prove handy to law enforcement / snoopers to see what you have been looking at! ;-)

In IE8: Tools Menu | Internet Options | General Tab | Click the delete button under browsing history.

While you are there, go to the Programs tab, and click the "Make Defualt" button to make sure IE is set as you default browser (assuming you actually want it as your default!).

Another quick fix to try, is to choose "set program access and defaults" from the start menu, click the down arrows at the end of the custom entry, then go through the list selecting the programs you want as defaults. That should then reset many of the automated linkages.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe the links have just seized up? A squirt of WD40 should do the trick.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Excellent!

Reply to
Clot

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Exactly what I was about to suggest

then ... angle grinder

that should scare it and let it know that you mean business

Reply to
geoff

And it can be a real pain in the bum Owain. That cache has caused more problems for me over the years than it's worth - along with third-pary cookies beind dropped surreptitiously by the odd program or a dozen...

As a result of that, all the caches, index.dat files and cookies get wiped out every night using CCleaner (along with the Outlook Express Deleted Items folder) - and third party cookies are blocked in both OE and Firefox (Firefox being set to 'nuke' all cookies at the closing of the application) - and my browsing speed is better and not slower for doing it.

As for the OP, I agree on the brower cache clearing, along with popping into Tools > Options and making sure that the - Block images And other external content in HTML - is unchecked, as *that* has caused me the the odd problem in OE6 in the past - and quite recently when I checked for a particular reason [1] and forgot to remove it.

[1] To stop a little program called msgtag from 'phoning home' in a particular e-mail (and also to check for that single pixel it hides in).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

use Firefox or ?Google Chrome