OT: likely cause of deflating tyre

Last time I had a slow leak this is what it was. Paint the valve with soapy water (and the rim!) the look for bubbles.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, quite true, but a little difficult on an alloy wheel with a tubeless tyre and without the proper tools - and how many carry those in the boot?

I believe that is not allowed these days (at least that's what I was told by a (good) garage not so long ago) - so the other alternative may well be to fill the tyre with a sealant and then proceed on ones weary way.

For my money, I would simply do as I've done in the past (with around a 99% success rate), inflate the tyre some 20psi over the recommended pressure and then deflate to the correct level - if that failed, I would simply replace the defective tyre with the spare that I found in the boot (or as I had to do the other month after having my first flat tyre in 10 years, fit that irritating half-sized 'emergency' tyre on).

Ah! I remember the days when I could simply dig out a couple of tyre levers from the old tool kit (that always had to be kept in the car) and whip the tyre off myself, patch the inner tube (or fit the new one I kept just in case), refit the tyre and tube, pump the lot up with a foot pump and then get on my way (to find the nearest pub for refreshments) - and this wall all in the days before the drink-driving and tyre laws were in force. Those really were the days of civil motoring.

Sigh!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

A good way to go is to use Slime. it has the effect of sealing these sorts of problems. Also as it is fluorescent green it has the ability to highlight problems for you to be able to take aproprate action.

It also has a self balancing effect on the tyres reducing wear.

Reply to
Gary

But before doing so check if you can find a tyre place that won't bung on a surcharge for replacing the slimed tyre and cleaning the rim when the time comes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No real problem with repairs as long as you get an expert to do it

The Other Mike

And this is where I went:

although they say they only repair small cracks.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had a real puncture on a tyre. There was a small nail protruding. I went to sts tyre pros and they looked at it. I was not in my home town. I was 10 miles from home. The tyre had about 2mm tread all over. It was a budget brand. it was for a fiesta. They said they would not repair the tyre as it did not have enough tread. They then said they did not stock that make. Then they said they would not mix brands on the same axle, so the other tyre which was nearly new would have to be changed.

They said it would cost £160 to be legal.

I went to the local car bits store. Bought a bottle of CAR SLIME and put that in. The slime was £8. the tyre lasted 18 months. before it needed changing. My local Tyre place that I now use do not charge a supplement for desliming. But they do like to be told to expect the goo.

Reply to
Gary

Right around the local nick and dob them in for attempted fraud.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon