OT - Lights going out in three years

I feel pity for you. Your life would be less miserable if you had been more careful and looked for quality when you picked your guru.

Dr Paul Bain is not a climate scientist. He is "Editorial Consultant, British Journal of Social Psychology".

really should use this opportunity to study my guru well. Read the following, and then go to YouTube to listen to his perfect mastering of the english language. England can be proud of Richard Dawkins.
The mission of the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

Jo Stein

It helps a lot to know why we have religions. Religions are a product of evolution. The following figure show how it works.

god

leader * * * * * * * *

The stars are soldiers following their leader and going to attack and steal the food from some neighboring tribe. The god gives authority to the leader and the god can read the thoughts of any soldier. A perfect system for command an control of soldiers.

Those tribes that had religion, had an advantage in their struggle for life. That is how evolution works. Please observe that no gods are real. They are all a delusion as explained in this book:

The God Delusion is a 2006 bestselling[1] non-fiction book by English

Reply to
Jo Stein

Tremors

Reply to
polygonum

It was "Dune".

Reply to
harry

I'm really glad you pointed that out.

Reply to
harry

Religion is the root of most evil.

Reply to
harry

Well there you are, you are a man who thinks and talks in religious terms.

I have no guru. I was taught to think for myself.

How quaint. A man of pseudo science after all. 'Social Psychology' eh? One is tempted to laugh gently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You really have no idea how real life works, or worked, have you?

Or what Gods were, and in what way they were useful concepts to ancient people.

Dawkins is only marginally less ignorant than you. He is such a bad atheist and intellectually inconsistent that he almost makes the case for religion.

You are clearly a religious person who has lost his religion, and now you have replaced it with an ignorant and imperfect understanding of science.

I am not a religious person. I grew up without religion at all really. I have no need of crutches.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

book:

No. religious people are.

You can see that in Jo, whose religion is of the Dawkinesque sort. He has to believe in something, someone who knows more than he does who can tell him what to think, how to think and what to do, because being a faithful sort of person, he has never learnt to think for himself. So he believes in Science, Climate Change, and Mathematics without any understanding of what it is he is placing hits trust and faith in.

So he has his gurus and his beliefs, and feels like any religious person, comfortable and secure in what he has been told..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I recommend the book of Dawkins, as it very well explains any delusion such as your delusion about global warming. However, do not go there to look for the model described above. I do not think that you will find it in that book.

It is in fact my own model; let us call it the Jo-model for religion. A quick search in Google gave this utterly unconvincing book:

Author and economist Zachary Karabell found stylistic faults.

My model is far better than that.

Reply to
Jo Stein

My wife has MS, and would love to work. Mysteriously, there's a shortage of employers wanting to take on someone using a wheelchair (we'll overlook the practicalities of actually *getting* to a job) who needs to be within a couple of metres of a toilet (which they need assistance with), is partially sighted (can't read a computer screen), gets fatigued after an hour and needs to rest. Luckily we're pretty savvy with the ways of the world, and her application for ESA was approved immediately (it's knowing how to fill the forms in). However, while we were going through the process, we subscribed to a very useful forum -

's illuminating to see what some people think makes them totally unemployable. There was one lady who was saying her OCD meant she couldn't possibly go out to work. IIRC she had been on incapacity benefit for 20 years. I am sympathetic, but I can't help but feel it's not in the same league as our situation.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Isn't it funny, not one of the main parties has any plans to address this ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I suspect he's actually referring to "Dune".

Reply to
Huge

I would have thought OCD made you an ideal candidate for some clerical jobs.

And half the computer industry has Aspergers.

Reply to
Huge

That's the important point to ancient people..... In the ancient world people believed that an eclipse was the work of a God few groups are that unenlightened today, some still are though. Some believed Gods coontrolled teh weather.

Anyone see the programme on last where they took 4 religious individuals and tried to showm them science and facts.. I'd wish I'd been there.

Only social evolution (or culture) not biological.

Please observe that no gods are

religion makes a case for itself unfortunatly if someone has a strong belief there's nothin gyoum can do to change that.People have had their throats slit believe a God will save them.

Well I can;t comment on that as it wasn;t aimed at me, but when I was a Kid I think I believed in God, batman & captain kirk I have since grown up and only believe in captain kirk now :)

That's an excelant use of religion or the beliefs around it. Religion(s) do have a use, but it doesn;t make them facts.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Is there any possibility of doing something like working from home at all on a self employed basis?. Could not she see a PC screen if it was a lot bigger than normal?. Perhaps she could do something like business support answering the phone and message handling etc?..

I know of some places which enable you to be "in an office" whilst being elsewhere?..

Reply to
tony sayer

The same damn props for both of them!

And Dune was unutterably unwatchable, tedious beyond measure and I fell asleep. Whereas Tremors was actually a surprisingly funny film which I remember with a bizarre fondess - though largely due to the company with whom I watched it.

Reply to
polygonum

Well it is rather a difficult one, just defining family is hard enough.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Religion is for people who cant face up to the possibility that this is actually all there is. Mostly.

For a few people its an imperfect understanding of the fact that this cannot logically be all there is.

Even if the other bit is their own mind that perceives it.

But Jo hasn't even got to first base yet. Just replaced one faith with another.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They don't have much problem when it comes to saying you are not entitled to xyz because you (i.e. family) have too much income.

Reply to
polygonum