OT-Lexmark with WindowsXP

Hi Guys n Gals,

Apologies for this being off topic but, I'm trying to find anyone out there who has a Lexmark Z32 printer working properly with WindowsXP.

If anyone has, can you check this please.

Start> Control Panel > Printers & Faxes> Lexmark Z22-Z32 Color Jetprinter>Set Printer properties>Ports

Are able you tick and untick the "enable bidirectional support" box?

Mine is greyed out.

Tried loads of 'fixes', been onto Lexmark support who are offering on going suggestions, but I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse.

I'm not convinced it's possible to solve it.

Having googled this seems to be known problem, but I don't know of anyone who has actually managed to solve it.

Thanks

Reply to
BillP

Have a look in your BIOS settings, you may need to set the port to support Bidirectional communication.

You usually press DEL or F2 just after your keyboard lights flash to get into the BIOS settings...but don't mess about with other stuff in there unless you know what you are doing!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Yeah, right.

It isn't. Throw your computer and printer away, after first smashing them with a sledge-hammer, so that no-one will be tempted to perpetrate such silliness again.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi Sparks,

Believe me I've tried loads of options, changed BIOS settings, uninstalled drivers, downloaded latest drivers, etc. etc..... I don't want to take up bandwidth on this news-group with an OT thread, I'm just looking for someone out there who's actually got this setup working so I know that it really is possible.

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
BillP

google is your friend.

Fwiw you can usually use another printer driver which will have different unnecessary addons and thus different issues, this is often an easy way to dodge persistent issues. (I even used a 3.1 driver once, some are fine.) Start by picking another inkjet with same resolution.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi,

Try this to uninstall the drivers completely:

found via:

The best thing to do long term is to dump the Lexmark and get something like a Canon.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I've had that response from Lexmark tech support, and tried it, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

If Lexmark tell me to "stand on one leg, stick my finger up my arse and whistle God Save The Queen" I'd give it a go, but Googling and trying all sorts of fixes leads me to believe that whatever I try, it can't be done. I just want to know that I'm not chasing a myth and that there really is someone, somewhere out there, who has actually has this set up working properly.

Thanks anyway

Best regards Bill

Reply to
BillP

This might be worth a try:

Look in C:\WINDOWS\inf\ntprint.inf for [MS_Z22-Z32_OEMUNI]

Underneath add:

LanguageMonitor=%PJL_MONITOR%

Hopefully the option should then become available, thought it might need reinstalling the drivers.

Something else to try might be to run Total Uninstall while installing the drivers, then using it after uninstalling the drivers to ensure nothing gets left behind.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C