OT: Letter to Look North

Do you know how many journalists the BBC employs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tee-hee. Love to see your attempt to do this with someone shouting in your ear.

Bet your job is so easy a chimp could do it, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't ask the other 10%. :-p

Reply to
Fredxxx

I had an interesting visit to BBC Nottingham studios a year or two ago, during which they had things set up so that we could appreciate, from a nearby conference room, how things would be in the gallery as the local evening news was transmitted.

A couple of digital projectors were arranged with split screens so that we could see the feeds from studio cameras, satellite van, autocue, VT, and hear the talkback. It was certainly interesting. You only realise how tricky it is when you see it done badly.

Somewhere on line I have seen a broadcast with talkback included, where the gallery are going absolutely frantic, but I have sadly no idea where I found it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

One of the famous ones was a Grandstand with the director, Brian Cargill, going spare. Over something which wasn't actually to do with the studio side. For a presenter (Frank Bough) to carry on as normal with that happening in his ear takes some skill. Which most simply wouldn't have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Far too many given that they requested accreditation for 200 to cover the Lib-Dem conference - a party with just 8 MPs.

Reply to
Woody

But that 200 are unlikely to all turn up. They've probabvly just put all the names from their political section into the pot. It allows flexibility of staff.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Given a large enough number of complaints, which I expect the BBC get, it will be a fairly good indication. Complaints are a cornerstone of the principle of continuing improvement in any quality management system.

How do you know what my standards are, unless you are judging me by your own?

I would consider myself to be among them.

I can't say I have ever had a need to define it. However, I would think that any view that is more than 1.5 standard deviations from the mean would probably be a good starting point.

It should be possible to make a case for each to be considered to be extreme, or to be normal, depending upon the culture, country, era, etc.

Reply to
Nightjar

Woody posted

On the south-west show, called Spotlight, the vast majority of "news" items are charity press releases.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted

The difference is, of course, that we are forced to pay for the BBC.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Every country's citizens are forced to pay for their state broadcaster.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1
Reply to
Martin

Definitely Bill.

Reply to
Martin

BBC employs several thousand journalists.

Reply to
Martin

Many BBC Local News items are based on problems in the NHS.

Reply to
Martin

Not many charge £140-odd a year, I would guess.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Indeed not, it's one of the cheaper ones.

Reply to
Charles Hope

I don't call it anything as it does not intrude on my thought processes. Certainly not enough to give it a special nick-name.

Reply to
soup

You're forced to pay for ITV etc too - unless you avoid all the products etc advertised there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look at the cost per day's viewing. 40p Could you rent a DVD for that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)