OT: Lazy retirement

En el artículo , Bob Eager escribió:

A colleague said to me that he was busier in retirement than he ever had been when working, the only difference being he wasn't getting paid for it.

I thought at the time, "nah" but having retired myself, can confirm he is absolutely right.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

One of mine was always cross that he now had to take his holidays in his own time, not the company's.

Reply to
Norman Wells

That's why harry thinks wind turbines always work.

Reply to
dennis

Might not make mush difference if you have a dog. ;-)

Hopefully, being a DIY group, most will have hobbies to keep them busy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Norman Wells escribió:

Heh, I like that. I spent much of my career working abroad, it's odd being at home so much now.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You are over-eager.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Life is like a fairground roundabout. At the centre is stillness.

Reply to
stuart noble

Today the gf correctly reconnected her cooker to the cooker outlet point.

She said "easier than wiring a plug".

Reply to
ARW

Reminds me of my friend Howard, a retired colleague whom I encountered in B&Q one day, before before I myself retired. He was bemoaning that he had no time for anything now, and burst out "It's alright for you people who work: you've got your weekends!"

J.

Reply to
Another John

I didn't get up for work every day anyway!

I have a lot of stuff to do...probablt three part time jobs and two volunteer ones, and that's without the DIY and hobbies.

Reply to
Bob Eager

greasy shafting

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Got your season tickets to Howletts & the wildlife park?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Not yet...! Got the bus pass though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Senior Railcard (the Disabled one is better if you can get it though, you can take a companion on discount too)

B&Q card

Wiltshire Farm Foods catalogue

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There speaks a wage slave. B-)

I've never in all my working life done the 9-5, always been "irregular hours", so any time, any day, used to be roughly 0930 2130

3 or 4 days/week, then a period of 0700-1900 10 days/fortnight. More recently only 0900 1800 on a weekend but with up to 6 hours travel to add.

Looking forward to taking one of my pensions but going to sit on it for as long as possible, it grows by 6% year as the "take it early" reduction disappears but part of it is also growing at 7.5%... I like Final Salary pension schemes with the rules set 30+ years ago. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gosh, you astonish me. Well, I can't say as I blame you, although it's clear that FS schemes are a scam and that company pensions should be outlawed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh, by roughly the amount your life expectancy is reducing then?

Reply to
Norman Wells

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

For those without a FS scheme, one point to consider. Should any of you have old (pre 1988) pension plans, particularly what were called Retirement Annuities, do check whether the contract includes a guaranteed annuity rate. Some did, others not. One of mine did, and the guaranteed rate at 60 was better than the then current rate at 65. Check the policy wording carefully, or ask the insurer.

Without wishing to teach Grandmother, ALWAYS look at open market annuity rates whatever the pension provider offers.

Reply to
News

One of the many benefits we had from being in a largely unionised industry that most today can only dream about. ;-)

It's not a career I'd choose today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't talk daft. As long as its a funded scheme it is not a scam, its something you have already paid for.

If its like the government ones where its funded out of current taxes its a scam. There are no private schemes like that AFAIK.

Reply to
dennis