OT: lawn care

Can anyone help. I think my lawn has been badly affected by crane flies/leather jackets - dead patches look like someone with studded boots has walked over them. All the garden centres say they are no longer allowed to sell the chemicals once used to bump off these pests, there's nowt to be done. Can anyone help, they're ruining my lawn and I care.
--
Phil Wagstaff

chemicals
help,
Try posting this on uk.rec.gardening or england.rec.gardening

You sure it isn't more to do with the fact we've had no significant rain for 12 weeks?