OT: Last Coalmine Closure Query

Right. So I take it you don't expect anyone to do a 'shit job'? Better they should be supported by the state to a similar standard of living? Do tell. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Price in terms of what? Time, cash, something else. Plants really are not very good at turning light and CO2 into oxygen and carbon based fuel (cellulose?, no somethig else BWTH). We can utilise the carbon directly so could potentialy miss out all the other steps plants use to take the photosynthsis products and turn them into "fuel".

But you are still limited by the light energy input being the only energy input to the CO2 > C + O2 > CO2 cycle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The effect on the home industry is that it gets cheaper supplies, which feeds through to lower consumer prices, higher employee wages and higher company profits.

Yes, there are people who prefer to pay five quid for an artisan loaf, but I prefer to benefit from lower supply prices and manufacturing costs that give me a loaf for a pound.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Don't talk drivel. Oxygen is not the only thing that will cause corrosion.

Reply to
harry

Of course I don't think that.

You've got a bunch of people who can't be complete idiots - they manage the safety procedures - and are prepared to work hard in poor conditions. There must be something else. Building? Road mending?

But not a call centre.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

List the ones that you think matter.

Reply to
dennis

bert

And how long does it take for such corrosion to destroy a pit prop.

Reply to
dennis

Whether timber rots depends on species.

From memory elm never rots in water which is why it was used for piling and coffins. While pitch pine which is full of resin is rot resistant for that reason, and ISTR may have been used for pit props.