OT - Laser Printers, Labels, and GSM

OT only in so far as this is a work related question.

Here at work we have recently bought some phenomenally expensive Desktop A3 Mono Lasers (HP 5200).

These steadfastly refuse to feed our normal label stock via Tray 1 (HPs approved tray for feeding labels). They have sent 3 engineers, and have now stated that they think our labels are too heavy.

I have Googled and Googled, but cannot find a GSM spec for Avery Labels (which the printer in question will feed from tray ). The labels we use are supplied nationally to various NHS trusts, andd their printers feed them happily day in, day out (as do our previous medel HPs, and 1 of the four HP 5200s we bought (though we've only fed it about 100 sheets so far).

So,

Doesanybody here know what weight Avery Laser Label stock is?

Our suppliers say "Theirs" are 165 GSM.

The HP engineer (actually a BT EngageIT engineer tried "telling" the printer it had cardstock in case that would persuade it to eat up it's greens, but it didn't want to know (and this was trying to get the Printer to print it's own inbuilt self test page, thus ruling out potential operating system and driver issues). I have to say this printer like most of the HP and other printers in this price bracket seem to be designed by accountants rather then engineers).

TIA

Chris

Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes put finger to keyboard:

Get 16 sheets of the stuff, weigh them on your postage scales and there's your answer.

Reply to
Scion

On 12/04/2013 16:20, Chris Holmes wrote: ...

According to this:

at least one is 130gsm. However, that will only apply to labels with the same face and backing materials.

That is fairly heavy. I use a polyester label that is 174gsm and that needs me to use the manual feed option on my Samsung laser printer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Bloody stupid. Not fit for purpose return get refund and buy one you insist you see it print on labels first. Actually the issue with labels often is that the sheets stick to each other due to the backing material not having the same friction parameters as paper has. Nothing to do with weight at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for all the reples guys, lot's of useful info.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes