OT : Knoppix / usb networking ?

Did you try using your internet connection?

I switched ovr to Linux before I got an ISP then plugged the line in. The first message I got on booot up was that BT had connected me to the world. I hadn't even tried to find any drivers.

I can't believe a fairly recent Knoppix has failed you. If it has, it must be because your old hardware doen't meet the IPCC? standard. (Something CC not sure.) In which case all you need do is update the version of Knoppix.

Live CDs do have a problem with some hardware these days but only because the latest rend is mini distros with virtually no hardware tools. You update with the Linux version of File Manager and grab he tools you need.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

A disc of linux mint 7 shuold do the job, and provide a good newbie friednly replacement for win. Mint is ubuntu with the missing bits added. For anyone not familar with linux, its as well to install win and lniux side by side, then they can move over as and when they want.

NT

Reply to
NT

What is your LAN card? Are we talking ethernet or WiFi?

In my experience Knoppix is roughly as good as Windows in finding hardware. Eg on my present Thinkpad T60 Knoppix (and Fedora) found my ethernet and WiFi cards, while Windows XP found neither.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Don't know why this particular thread has woken up again it was a couple of weeks back.

Bottom line - gave up on Knoppix 'cos it couldn't find the lan card and was not all that good with video cards etc. Tried another distro (can't remember which it was - says further up the thread) - but even though it looked better at finding lan cards, and did a reasonably job of detecting the video - it still failed to allow me to connect to the web - although pinging www addresses worked from a command line prompt.

Gave up.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

If you are not familiar with Linux, this was almost certainly a problem with NetworkManager, which is almost as difficult to use as Network Connections in Windows.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Your hardware will probably be supported in the next round of releases. If you are still interested try again in six months.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I remember now - it was Ubuntu. Found the hardware OK - just wouldn't let me browse. Also seemed to have issues running from the pendrive - then it all got complicated with an aborted install to a 'read' USB drive - and a bad case of 'can't-be-bothered' set in !

Many thanks to everybody who tried to help along the way....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks Bernard The machine's a Dell Vostro 200 - about 4 years old....

On the positive side, it was quite impressive seeing an entire o/s running from a pendrive - 'twould have been even better if it'd supported web browsing as well!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall