OT : Knoppix / usb networking ?

I was the OP

Dell Vostro 200 - runs winxp pro no problems (network etc)

Pendrive (USB) live distro of Knoppix - can't find the network card, so no local network and no connection to router.

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

In message , Adrian Brentnall writes

I'm interested in this having just been guided by someone to use my Ubuntu "stick" to successfully identify hardware on a machine.

Am I being stupid to ask: Isn't the point of having a distro on a usb drive that you can write to it and treat it not like a live CD distro, but as a permanent installation?

My Ubuntu on a stick isn't a "Live" version, but is a full install. Is there any difference between the two?

I appreciate that it probably doesn't affect the problem being addressed.

Reply to
Bill

No, it's usually silent.

Still not registered a driver to the NIC.

If you could do:

lspci

and

lspci -n

and paste both outputs back here, it is possible to identify the PCI ID and find a driver - I'll have a look for you...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Note that madwifi is a Linux progam which allows Windows drivers to be used under Linux

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Interesting.. my integrated boards (both Intel but different CPUS) show...

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

so it looks like that's a common chipset. generic driver is IIRC '8168'

there is a knoppx netconfig propgram..try running that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try Ubuntu. The install CD can be used as a live disc, or installed. I'm using it now on a IBM Thinkpad, and it detected *all* of the hardware successfully.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks - but the Wifi was only really a last-ditch 'let's try this' thing - I'd much rather connect via the wired network.. Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I think I did try that - but not a lot of success... Last night I did the lspi / lspi -n thing - but couldn't work out where to save the resultant file (got as far as copy/paste into Open Office - but ended up printing the text! - Will scan it back in and provide a weblink in a moment or two...)

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

lspci > ~/file.txt

Reply to
Huge

Hi Chris That's a couple of votes for Ubuntu.... thanks - I'll look into it.

(Actually - I think I d'loaded the image last night - need to find another memory stick! )

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hi I knew it'd be something easy like that! Anyway - the listing is now here

- I was a bit uncertain of where I could save the file to - I didn't see anything that looked like my C: drive, and wasn't sure how much room there was left on the pendrive, and didn't want to break it completely!

Clearly I don;t have the right 'pioneer spirit' ! Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Tim That's very kind of you....

There's a copy of the debug info here

Adrian Brentnall

new is the motherboard?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi Me or the distro ? I'll assume you meant the distro....

The file was named KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

and the motherboard lives inside a Dell that was purchased maybe 3 years ago...

I see there's now a 6.2 - perhaps that's a better bet ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Yeah, never seen a distro recognise *none* of the hardware ...

The first entry for your PCI controller in the PCI-IDs database stems from December 2006,

right voodoo on the kernel boot line *might* persuade it to use older drivers for similar PCI IDs that would work, but probably not the sort of under-th-bonnet furtling you want when you're trying Linux for the first time (useful to know eventually though).

So yes, a newer distro should help.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi Andy Thanks for that - downloading a later distro now.... looks like it might take a while

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

There is no such thing in Linux, fortunately. Drive letters are a hideous

50 year old anachronism which should have been swept away years ago.

Anyway, the "~" means "my home directory" in the command line I gave.

Reply to
Huge

So if I'd used the command line you suggested

lspci> ~/file.txt

would I then be able to boot up the PC under Windows and see the resultant file, in order to copy/paste the info into an email ?

I'm guessing that file would be sitting on the pendrive..... somewhere....?

Still downloading the later version of Knoppix in the hope that it can see my hardware.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

BTW, it's

lscpi > ~/file.txt

(Note the space after the command)

That means "run the command lspci and put its output in a file whose name is 'file.txt' which is in my home directory, wherever that is.

If the file is on the pen drive and you can read the pen drive under Windows, yes.

You can do 'cd' followed by 'pwd' or 'ls ~' to find out where that is.

Reply to
Huge

Either do it in a graphical terminal window (Usually under Menu/Accessories/Terminal)

select the text and middle-click paste into your newsreader

or right click the terminal window, Copy then paste as usual.

If all Dell Vostros are the same (big assumption) then you might have a RTL8111/8168B chip. Those can be a pain as you may have to download and install a driver:

I can tell you for certain with your lcpsi (-n) output.

The reason I'd like both outputs, is the second gives the exact PCI ID/subID which is easy to check online what it really is (and I can peek in the driver source and confirm that download-X will actually load against it)

The first version of lspci saves a bit of time because I can spot which one in the -n list is actually the NIC without checking them all...

Reply to
Tim Watts