OT: kids in a dinghy in the sea safety question

My Dad's DIY ran to building a wooden sailing dinghy. OK, so it was a kit, but it's more work than I'd want to take on.

I still sail now - and that's a long enough period that my kids have left home.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Have a fat woman sit on it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Mentalguy2k8 writes

Having read the replies here, I'm not sure that any of my experience is relevant, except to say that oars combined with rope in the water might lead to more frustration than fun.

I'm not convinced that cheap inflatable boat-shaped toys can be safe enough to be better than simple rings etc.

We started ours on s/h wooden dinghies, but maybe they were older.

Reply to
Bill

The first thing to do is to capsize whatever it is in a few feet of water, and show them how to get back in.

THEN capsize it when they are just out of their depth, but not out of yours. And then say 'now imagine you are half a mile out to sea. You could die, and the sea is cold, and people do die'.

Boats are fun, drowning is not. To balance the two needs understanding and a degree of self discipline. And its far better to take them to the edge under guidance and then look over, than tell them to stay away from the edge so they dont recognise where it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mentalguy2k8 scribbled...

Just don't do it.

Reply to
Artic

I'm thinking you must be crazy. There are people/kids blown out to sea every year on this sort of thing. Quite a few get killed/drowned.

Reply to
harryagain

From where...? Besides, whatever you do with your phone when you're swimming - even if it's just left in your trouser pocket - you'll want it on silent in case you get called by a PPI claims company when you're in the briny, thereby advertising its presence to all and sundry...

It was easier in the old days - you didn't have a phone, and you could take your all-metal car key into the water with you!

Reply to
Lobster

Well, sadly they would be the ones whose parents hadn't done any form of risk assessment as the OP is suggesting.

Reply to
Lobster

How many of those are tied to the shore?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Nightjar scribbled...

How many start off tied to the shore, before the kids complain they're only 15 foot out and being knocked around by the waves or someone moans about the rope getting in the way of their enjoyment of the beach.

The sea isn't the place to start arsing around with a dinghy, especially when the OP displays a total lack of knowledge of them or the sea.

Reply to
Artic

Would that not involve carrying a second phone, another bag, another hole and another towel :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ARW explained :

Maybe it was a hint :')

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you use buoyancy aids make sure they have a crotch strap and that it is fastened correctly otherwise they will float out of it.

Avoid the ones with a collar. They can force the wearer onto their face when he gets tired. I've known people drowned this way.

Personally I'd stay beside them all the time they are in the dinghy. They'll need no more than a few inches of water to float and once floating that will be the joy.

Reply to
fred

On Tuesday 16 July 2013 09:25 Artic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No one has any knowledge of anything until they research it or are shown it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I agree with the previous poster, the sea isn't the place to start. Find a small lake/large pond and let them have some freedom and fun without any rope tethered to them. As long as they're wearing lifejackets, the worst that can happen is they capsize and end up bobbing about in calm waters.

If the OP was worried by that, take 2 blow up dingies so that he can paddle out to them in the other one (if necessary).

Reply to
Bod

A large knife administered in a stabbing motion to ensure the dingy can't even float would be a good start.

Forget a inflatable dingy at sea, find a suitable small lake. Even better find a sailing club and forget 'inflatable' anything

Alternatively donate what you were going to spend to the RNLI and forget the whole thing.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Slightly shocked that 12 hours later no smutty comments have been posted responding to that. Are you lot all working or something??

Did she come with a puncture repair kit?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

She did, but her name was not Rachel....

(oblique Red Dwarf reference there!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I could ask at the next RNLI Governors' meeting, but I don't recall either featuring in the regular rescue reports.

Perfectly safe if you follow the RNLI guidelines - choose a lifeguarded beach, stay in the patrolled area and leave the inflatable behind if the sea is rough or the wind is strong.

Simply asking the questions he did shows that he is aware of the dangers. My only concern about people unfamiliar with the sea is the urge to try a rescue themselves, rather than getting the experts in. People who do that all too often do end up in the rescue reports.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not everyone has a car, I'm not sure how many of those laying on the costa beaches have a car close to the beach.

Camera, money, watch, sunglasses ordinary classes.

I find it best to find a shadey beer garden, well shaded from the sun not full of shady people.

Reply to
whisky-dave