OT? - Keeping shoe laces done up

When shoe laces are new, they stay done up - probably because they are slightly rough.

After a while, they start coming undone at inconvenient times - maybe because they have become smoother.

Does anyone have a magic solution (other than buying new laces!) for restoring them to 'as new' condition?

Reply to
Set Square

I bought a new pair recently and have constant trouble keeping them tied unless I double knot them and then have the problem of undoing them...They are the flat ,sort of woven, kind...I had round ones before and never had this problem so you might like to try them ... Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Well, the ones I'm currently having trouble with are round! They came with a pair of stout walking shoes which I bought earlier this year - and were fine for a time but have now started undoing themselves!

Reply to
Set Square

Try lightly rubbing them with sand paper

Reply to
^^tHe^MiXeR^^

Coat them in PVA before you do them up. I'm sure you'll never have a problem with them coming undone again.

Reply to
Brett Jackson

Just been watching ' Trade Secrets ' on BBC2. Todays was cobblers secrets and they said if your shoe laces keep comming undone, take some black shoe polish on a cloth and rub the laces with it. I assume brown shoe polish for brown laces.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

You're probably right - but I don't want to wear the shoes in bed!

I was rather hoping the someone may have found a proven solution - rather than simply speculating!

Reply to
Set Square

Synthetic shoe laces untie because the fibres are smooth-surfaced. Old shoe laces were a mix of linen (for strength), cotton (for bulk) and a little of wool fibres. As wool is an animal product, there are small scales on the surface of each fibre that make them rough and stop sliding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had this trouble for years, I have cured it permanently, I now wear slip on shoes.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

Nice one!

Reply to
Set Square

So where can I get *old* laces?

Reply to
Set Square

Make your own.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Use a reef knot.

Left lace over right and under then form two bows and this time it is right bow over left bow and under.

Thats it, sorted.

Reply to
robert

Do you have a recipe?

Reply to
Set Square

Yes. We make several cords and the instructions for them, they can be used for all sorts of applications. Mail me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

================= Try a different kind of lace - elastic laces. The idea isn't as daft as it sounds at first. They're sold by disability suppliers for people who can't reach their feet properly after an operation (hip / knee replacement etc.). They tie up very well and then the shoe becomes a 'slip-on' needing a shoehorn to get the shoe on.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It does work, been doing mine for years. A smear of polish on a cloth rubbed into the laces every 6-8 weeks keeps them tied. If you are concerned about getting black polish on your hands use clear/natural polish.

Reply to
Robert

Wax them.

Reply to