OT Joined Up Thinking?

Today is bin day. Pavements cluttered up with big brown, black and green things. What does (presumably the same department) council do? It sent the mechanical pavement sweepers down our road! You should see them deftly weaving in and out of the assembled bins leaving the muck underneath them for another day! Brilliant.

TOJ.

Reply to
The Other John

On Friday, the lorry turned up to fill a few potholes in our cul-de- sac; all finished by 4 PM. On Saturday, at about 11 AM, along comes a lorry-type road sweeper and sucks the new filling out of nearly all the repaired holes.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Reply to
Tim Streater

Almost anywhere with a "local council".

Reply to
Scott M

I want to specifically know if it's round here, so I can moan to our County Councillor.

At our Annual Parish Meeting, there was plenty of moaning by residents to the CC about potholes generally and in some instances the poor quality of pothole repair. My impression is that, done properly, what you describe wooden happen. But if you just bung down tarmac onto a pothole full of loose stones, it's got nothing to grip to.

Our CC is in charge of Kent CC finances and since the budget is over a billyun quid (not all for potholes or even roads obviously) and they've had to make substantial savings he's keen to see it spent properly.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:11 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I see that happening around here. Stuff a bit of mac into the hole. I suspect "properly" means cutting the hole out, probably square with an angle grinder (there said it), clearing out the bottom to a decent uniform depth then applying appropriate filling materials. Then you'll get a solid cuboid block wedged in a similarly shaped hole. Perfect adhesion is suddenly less important.

Sticking a bit of filler in an egg shaped hole leaves very thin edges and probably loose crap over most of the base so it just wants to slide out and become friable.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Detailed instructions here:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Wesrgate

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Sorry; Westgate

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Sounds about right. It's a few years ago now, but we had 9 months of disruption as they re-kerbed and re-surfaced around 3 miles of extremely busy single carriageway road. For all that time we suffered massive tailbacks at temporary lights with the alternative routes being many miles out of the way and suffering their own congestion problems. Within

6 months of finishing it, a trench was dug the entire length of it to lay fibre optic cables and the ducting for them - despite advance notice of the resurfacing work and despite the fact that for over 90% of the route there are large verges and even farmers fields that the ducting could have been laid under!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I think these days the County Council can do something about that. In the old days they had no say in such matters. A utility had the right to dig the road, end of. They had to restore it but as we all know that's approximate.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I swear that our mends are not done to those standards.

Many are not cleanly cut. I suspect many do not have the edges coated. I suspect the surfacing material is often not hot enough. I don't think I ever see overbanding tape (never knew what it was called before) or extra tar dribbled round - except the occasional utility repair.

Was the repair featured at an angle to the kerb? Wondering if making sure such mends are at a diagonal is a better idea than square to the traffic flow. I suspect it is.

Reply to
polygonum

Verges possibly depending on where the boundary between the highways and private owners is. The fields would require wayleave(s) to be drawn up with all the owner(s) of the fields, always assuming the owners can be contacted and can be bothered to respond. Note the farmer using the field may only be a tenant or renting it from another who is a tenant...

Far simpler just to dig up the road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not quite. Even when I was working for a utility, several decades ago, we had to give three months notice of any planned work, so that it could be matched in with road resurfacing work or work by other utilities.

The CC had to approve the repair, although there would be a temporary repair to begin with and a permanent repair after the ground has had time to settle, usually a few months later.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, and when they empty them they then chuck them through the air into the wrong gardens or worse, the road and hit cars with them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

All of this is of course due to the new way that councils do jobs. they contract them out and to give the companies flexibility they say any time between march and july, but of course one contractor does one thing another does another and none of them talk to each other at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They have to pay farmers to lay ducts in farmland. Also land agents fees are chargeable to the project. Another consideration is the multiplicity of landowners involved and the possibility of legal action.

Fibre optic was laid along our relatively new by-pass but they used the verges. I did wonder if channelling the bridges compromised their structural integrity:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You need to point this out to them. They should readjust the timetable to ensure they come after bin day.

Reply to
mogga

A few weeks ago the roads in our town centre were to be re-surfaced. Signs were up all week warning that there would be major works and no parking from

08:30 on the Sunday morning. 07:30 that morning a cabling team working for BT arrive with trucks towing big reels of cable and winches and start replacing underground cables right through the area to be re-surfaced. Re-surfacing teams turn up at 08:30 and stand around for 3 hours watching the cables then go home achieving nothing!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Dunno about bridges but I know they are very careful in multi storey car parks, all traffic sensors are above ground, no grooving in is allowed.

Reply to
fred