OT: ITV Player

Anyone know where ITV Player streams the video from? Something in the many layers of advert blocking I run stops it from working. We missed the last few minutes of the final episode of Whitechapel because the damn DVR stopped early, so I wanted to watch it online, only to discover that something stops it working. I just get a blank frame. Switching off AdBlock+ and removing my "hosts" file got it going, but I'm not doing that permanently, so I need to whitelist wherever the video comes from ...

Reply to
Huge

On Sunday 24 November 2013 10:36 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You could probably work it out with wireshark - sorry, I don't know the answer because I never watch it (doesn;t work on any of the devices I have).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, thanks anyway. I just wondered if anyone knew, thereby saving me having to sniff the network/look at the f/w logs/WHY? I'll put it on the list - it's not something we do very often.

I'm having a bad technology weekend. First the outside lighting packs in (and there's no street lighting within miles of here), then my Squeezebox Duo controller (*) stops working and demands a firmware update, which fails, for no good reason at all, I've bent one of the front wheels on the TVR (probably spinning off at the Lotus test track, Hethel) and now the damn DVR (Sony RDR-HXD710) has got an intermittent fault. It just dies every so often, but leaving it switched off of a couple of hours, it springs back into life until the next time.

Grrrr.

(* Remote controller for streaming music player.)

Reply to
Huge

Because you are using your system they way you want to use it not the way "they" want all the sheeple to be brainwashed. I just wish they would all get together and produce a standard "iPlayer" system that just worked.

Sounds very much like a PSU problem, assumin that "dies" means not just falling into standby or just becoming unresponsive due to a firmware crash (though that might be tickled by a PSU problem).

You ought to do the lottery this week, with your luck it has to change. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't know if this is a suitable solution for you but there's some Mac software called Get iPlayer Automator that downloads BBC/ITV progs very well. I assume there's a Windows/Linux equivalent.

Reply to
mike

get-iplayer is originally a Linux tool, that's been ported & GUId for Mac & Win.

However, the original doesn't do anything but BBC - it needs various plugins for the other channels. Anybody know of a source for 'em?

Reply to
Adrian

These companies should get together, agree a method between them and stick to that. It world make finding stuff a lot easier and less hassle when wanting to play the content. Thus far the bbc site is the easiest as long as you go directly to the streams, but ch4 is not bad, but most of the others just do not work, I suspect transparent flash which is inaccessible or some form of detection which sees the screenreader I use as an attempt to stop adverts or whatever. Until these site admins wise up and get their communal act together its making a mockery of internet supplied content. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff