OT: Its not CO2, it's the trees!

You couldn't make it up!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But that is what they do.

Make it up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surprised they didn't blame acid rain for killing all the "good" trees.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I *suspect* it is all bollocks. Perhaps some biochemist will be along in a minute to tell us what spectral band chlorophyl operates in, but I have always assumed it is in the visible. Trees are undoubtedly good at "absorbing" IR, but the leaves just get warmer and transfer the heat to the air.

Reply to
newshound

Gimme another £1m grant and I will..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that is actually the point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah yes, I see. Even so, I suspect that broad-leaf trees are pretty "black" in the IR, although I could also see how the geometry of conifers (a bit like anechoic chambers!) might make them extra absorbent.

Reply to
newshound

There doesn't seem to be much IR absorption by leaves other than that attributable to water, of which there's plenty in the atmosphere anyway. Lots of images here

and here
. Sunlight radiation spectrum here
which, inter alia, shows just how little IR radiation is absorbed by CO2 compared to water vapour.

Abstract of the article is here

Full article requires a login.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That is the very shaky substance on which this 'man caused even more global warming than we thought' meme is based.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well when we leave the EU, we can revert to burning coal to generate our power and make up the shortages, and the acid rain can fall .... on the EU ... excellent :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Look at it on the bright side, it means CO2 didn't cause some of the rise. It may even account for more than 0.12C as the measurements for the whole of Europe can't be extrapolated as they have been.

Reply to
dennis

Australian??

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd like to see a resumption of burning the straw in the fields after harvest - not that I'm a pyromaniac......yet

Reply to
Mark Allread

No, we'd perform some lobotomy operation on Arthur Scargill to stop him being a menace, and re-open some deep mines with newer technology. Thus providing coal, employment and electricity, and reduce our balance of trade deficit :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I can support the remedy there - for a start the Forestry Commission (who should know better) should stop planting conifers everywhere and start mixing it up with a broad mix native species.

If they'd started 50 years ago we'd be enjoying readily accessible locally grown interesting woods rather than poor quality pine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Nope. in those days it was poplar for pit props.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no way is UK coal mining worth investing a bent five bob note in. Totally uneconomic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AFAIK that was not stopped because of Global Warming - it was stopped because burning straw was being carried up in the air by convection then blowing along setting fire to stuff.

Quite a problem in East Anglia where there are a lot of thatched rooves.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

One additional point is that deciduous trees don't absorb heat in their leaves over winter, nor do they provide a dense insulating layer which prevents the ground from losing heat and becoming frosted.

I suspect that the retaining of sunlight by the leaves is only part of the issue.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David