OT: It couldnt happen to a nicer newspaper..

The checkout girl at Lidl told me their discount coupons (something like ?5 when you spend ?40) now appear only in the Metro and Mail On Saturday.

Reply to
pamela

The demographic concerned typically listen to one of BBC R4, R2 or R3 in descending order of probability and hardly ever change channel.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In its day Ceefax was quite impressive. Information on demand on your TV (if delivered rather slowly). The first company I ever worked for made editing terminals for producing the content.

They are still the ones with little or no internet connection. My dad did have one of my cast of portables but eventually it became too difficult for him to use it. He was online for a good decade though.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well our county, Cheshire, doesn't exist in the BBC world. The Northwest consists of Merseyside Manchester Lancashire and Cumbria. Local radio in the south comes from Stoke, in the north from Manchester and to the west from Liverpool but TV comes from Manchester. Radio weather forecasts are from Birmingham, TV forecasts from Manchester.

There's very little local news on local radio or TV.

Reply to
bert

There's no local radio in London. Unless you think 10 million or so potential listeners can all live 'locally'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If "locally" is a geographic description, then there is "local radio" in London. On the other hand if it's tribal ....

Reply to
charles

I could recieve it on my BBC computer a long time before the internet.

Reply to
whisky-dave

with a suitable adaptor

Reply to
charles

Well it didn't work with an unsuitable adaptor so I guess you're right.

And it wasn't an adapter either it was more like a second processor.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It was called a "Teletext Adaptor". Its main claim to fame was that it had a uhf tuner which is not normal in a computer.

Reply to
charles

For local news to be of use to me it would have to have happened locally. Lets be generous and say in my borough - which has a larger population than many local radio stations in the country have. Things that happen on the other side of London are not local news to me. And since it's generally people - or events which have an impact on individuals - which make news, it's reasonable to restrict the numbers of people that a truly local station covers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Teletext was broadcast as part of the TV picture. Absolutely nothing to do with the internet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The RiscTV card on this RPC gave Teletext too. And allowed you to save it out as plain text. Quite useful for sending a weather report, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was a TV tuner with teletext decoder. You might have guessed since it needed a TV aerial.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I know where did I say it had ANYTHING to do with the internet. I said it was BEFORE the internet not that it had anything to do with it.

BUt it was teh way to get info like weather and news and other stuff on to a TV or computer same as the internet does now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So NOT an adapter it ran on the 1MHz bus on the BBC computer.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But Acorn/BBC called it an "Adaptor"

Reply to
charles

Yes they did and people that knew what they were takling about called it a decoder. A teletext adapter for ceefax yes.

adapters tend to be passive devices such as a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have an "adaptor" which converts VGA signals to HDMI ones and is powered.

Reply to
charles

Are you sure it's not an adapter or a convertor.

Reply to
whisky-dave