OT ish; Virgin answerphone service

Can the vast knowledge base at UK. D-I-Y help with this one?

:-)

Signed up to Virgins answer phone service. Essentially I dial 1571 and pick up messages.

Supposedly the screen on my Siemens Gigaset AL28H cordless phone displays an icon & 'new messages' to alert me to the fact that I have new messages.

So far, so good. I collect the messages & delete them, but the display remains - telling me I have messages when I don't.

Several eons on the phone to Virgin help droids reveals that they don't have a clue how the system works, so they blame the phone.

Nothing in the phone instruction book.

Any clues?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you get a normal or an interrupted dial tone when you pick the phone up?

We found that when we activated call diversion, we got an interrupted dial tone, which our phones interpreted as a message waiting. I assume that message waiting produces the same sort of dial tone.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

give up and get an answer phone. these things are just there to make money for the telecom company by allowing calls to connect while you are on the phone and then make you have to ring them back afterwards. Nuch better they get engaged and ring when you can answer them properly.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Presumably the icon is triggered by a signal from Virgin, so if it's still there & you have no new messages then it's reasonable to assume that Virgin are still sending it due to a c*ck up on their end (heaven forbid a c*ck up by Virgin that they don't understand!). They'll only tell you to unplug every appliance in your house and plug it back in, that's about the extent of their technical abilities.

Maybe the only way to resolve it is to find out how to reset your phone to factory settings to rule out the possibility of a fault on your handset, and then ask Virgin to stop the voicemail service and then reinstate it, start afresh. Or as the other posters have suggested, cancel it altogether and get an answering machine.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8