OT(ish) - tyre rating labels

Actually the four tyres fitted by LR are identical.

Reply to
bert

yes.

I bought Michelin energy as the best all-round. The ratings for the Continental equivalent were surprisingly different, but then I dont drive a car like the way they used to on Top Gear.

PS West Sussex have introduced new (baffling) charges since 1st OCt for many items. Rubble, turf and soil is £4 per bag or £4 per item, which includes ceramic baths and sinks of any type,but non- ceramic baths, kitchen cabinets and works tops are still free, as is roofing felt and 'timber' - wierd. So anyone haveing a flat roof redecked can still dispose of the old crap for free, while decent soil, turf and clean rubble which can be recycled is chargeable.

Now you must also pay £4 per tyre. How much waste disposal do tyre fitting outfits charge these days ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In Fiji, you can buy sandals that are made from the tread of old car tyres. Probably true in many parts of Africa as well. Not sure if radials give an advantage over cross ply if you are playing footy or 7-a-side rugby though.

Reply to
Andrew

:) They're used in Africa, Latin America, etc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, but each being able to support a reasonable percentage of the maximum axle weight, to allow for the 'asymmetric loading' Roger mentioned?

eg, If an axle is rated for 1 tonne and you fit two tyres of 500kg Max load each, if you put a (say 800kg) load over one axle off center you could potentially overload one tyre.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I looked at whether tyres had any halogenated organic compounds because there seemed so many obstacles to using them in industrial furnaces, the 2005 WRAP report says these compounds are 0.1% of the total weight and reducing.

Neoprene is a halogenated hydrocarbon and can lead to the formation of dioxins when burnt.

After a recent coach crash we know tyres do deteriorate with age and sunlight but I have several machines which have older tyres which look fine on the outside, they generally don't go on the road.

AJH

Reply to
news

It's a particular problem with low mileage vehicles, whose tyres die of old age long before they wear out.

I used to disregard this until I arrived one day with my touring caravan at a site in Scotland - over 300 miles from home - to find one of the tyres bulging, with lots of steel reinforcing wires sticking out of the side. Those tyres were 12 years old, but were hardly worn. I pretty soon replaced *both* tyres before towing the van back home - and have kept a careful eye on tyre age ever since.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I too used to disregard it, until I had a blowout on my 4 wheel racecar trailer on the way to an event. IIRC, the tyres were over 10 years old.

Reply to
Huge

It seems to be far more of a problem with caravans and trailers. I'm wondering if the tyres are much closer to their limits on these than on the average car. As well as probably getting less use so take more years to wear out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Another factor is that they get to stand on the same spot for long periods. I think that used to be more of a problem with crossply than radials.

Reply to
bert

Shortly after receiving an advisory on my car's MOT about cracking rubber and being informed that it would be a fail if the test had been a couple of months later, I visited the garage of a company which operates a large fleet of preserved buses to Class VI standard.

Looking at a rather forlorn chassis which was to form the basis of their next renovation and bearing in mind the high cost of tyres for such vehicles, I asked them if they had similar problems.

No, apparently, because they paint them with a liquid rubber solution every year.

I don't now how easy it is to get or whether it would be cost effective for a car but it could be a possible solution to the problem

Reply to
Terry Casey