OT ish Slow Windows

Don't most bank's cash machines run on XP?

Reply to
bert

I thought it was ARM by a british company that was used most or leader in mobile devices anyway.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The newsreader I use (Turnpike) has a split thread facility so you can put OT branches into a separate thread. Unfortunately thanks to MS failing to support 32 bit explorer after encouraging developers to use it, it won't run on 64 bit Windows so I run W732 bit just to keep it.

Reply to
bert

Have noticed these days that the desktop has been replaced with a portable laptop especially with sales staff at quite a few firms we visit....

Most all running WIN 8 ....

Reply to
tony sayer

ARM isn't an operating system. The company make (or at least design) processors.

Reply to
charles

F*cked if I know. I was led to believe that linux was a piece of piss. Seems like it's a tad more complicated, but someone will be along shortly to inform you that it is you who is the problem.

Reply to
Richard

which is only needed because of fundamental design flaws in windows. as is the 'reboot on upgrade of anything'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

indeed. but it doesn't reboot your computer while it does it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or a huge installed base of software.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

has anyone actually asked a technical question?

No, the message is consistent, the product is simply not.

Designed to sell, but not to work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

depends on what's in em ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
8<

More than post about fixing windows. How many windows people even know about usenet? Where are they going to get linux help when they don't know about usenet and they can't ask in the local shop or a friend?

You live in the clouds like most linux zealots, you use linux and know where to get help so you expect everyone else to know how. Its thinking like that that stops linux beig more wide spread especially when the ones that do ask questions get told they are too stupid to run linux which happens far too often.

Reply to
dennis

download .iso, burn DVD, insert in usual orifice, and boot

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not been necessarily pre-loaded on any machine I have nought in te past 20 years

Except the S/H stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

mint mate 32 bit is the moist stable and easiest to use.

The Natural Philosopher

I've been able tpo read MSword docs ion libre office that MS office couldn't read ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd sell it and buy something else.

So which apps do you run on your router/nas/mobile that don't run on windows anyway?

Reply to
dennis

Well exactly.

Stasbility and speed wasn't seen as a primary requirement

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and almost everything that runs on an ARM runs a linux or derivcative thereof

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do grow up. It does work. Has done for some time and will continue to do so. So will linux and other varieties of operating systems. I guess the plus side is that you're not an Islamic fundamentalist - yet.

Reply to
Richard